Sign in to follow this  
windchaser

Signal lights on toad

Hi, all.

My toad vehicle has a tow hitch and a connection for trailer lights. I plan to tow the toad 4 wheels down, wiith a Brake Buddy. I plan to have the toads battery charged with an open-fused line from the motorhome directly to the battery of the toad, to keep the battery fully charged.

I want to have the stop and signal lights of the toad work off the motorhome lights.

My questions is, can I hook up my motorhome lights directly to the toad's trailer lights using the toads trailer lights connector? So the toads light are used kind of like backwards through the trailer lights connection? Could this cause any damage to the toad's electrial system?

If I can't use the toad's trailer lights hookup, I guess I would run signal lights directly from the motorhome to the toad's tail lights with seperate bulbs and wire. I have a set of Mag signal lights but don't like what they do to the finish on my toad.

JOY

Jim Moore

Catawba, NC

Jim,

You do NOT want to do that -- you would be "back feeding" your toad's electrical system.

Here is link to accepted methods of wiring coach to toad vehicle:

Toad Wiring Options

Also, on the positive wire from coach battery to toad battery, make sure you have a fuse at the connection to BOTH batteries.

And you may want to use a RELAY controlled by "ignition on" to charge the toad battery so it is not charging even when you are not driving. Having that charge wire hot all the time would accelerate discharge of coach chassis battery when dry camping if toad is still connected.

Brett Wolfe

Hi all

My toad has a tow hitch and a connection for trailer lights. I plan to tow the toad 4 wheels down,with a brake buddy. I plan to have the toads battery charged with a open fused line from the MH directly to the battery of the toad, to keep the battery fully charged.

I want to have the stop and signal lights of the toad work off the MH lights.

My questions is can i hook up my MH lights directly to the toads trailer lights using the toads trailer lights connector. so the toads light are used kinder like backwards thur the trailer lights connection? could this cause any damage to the toads electrical system?

If I can't use the toads trailer lights hook up I guess I would run signal lights directly from MH to the toads tail lights with separate bulbs and wire. I have a set of Mag signal lights but don't like what they do to the finish on my toad.

JOY

Jim Moore

Catawba, NC

I personally like the diodes. Just remember to use a diode pair each time to tie into a line. You have to far enough back in the wiring so that wire you tie into only controls the rear lights. Example: You can find a wire that turns on both front and rear parking lights. You don't want that wire. You need to go beyond that point to where the wires split into the front and rear and then tap into the rear wire with a diode pair.

As the Toad Wiring Options in my post above shows, there are basically three "accepted" ways to wire a toad:

With the use of diodes (to prevent back feeding the toad's electrical system) and the toad's own rear lights.

With a totally separate bulb installed in the toad's rear light fixtures.

With magnetic or permanently installed totally separate light fixture.

The advantage of the latter two is that there can be no question about vehicle warranty-- you did NOT cut into the toad's electrical system.

Brett Wolfe

As the Toad Wiring Options in my post above shows, there are basically three "accepted" ways to wire a toad:

With the use of diodes (to prevent back feeding the toad's electrical system) and the toad's own rear lights.

With a totally separate bulb installed in the toad's rear light fixtures.

With magnetic or permanently installed totally separate light fixture.

The advantage of the latter two is that there can be no question about vehicle warranty-- you did NOT cut into the toad's electrical system.

Brett Wolfe

Thank you all for your replies;

I didn't think i could just slip the connectors in to the toads trailer hitch lights but it was worth an ask, if you don't ask you won't know. I have desided to use the Mag lights. and to connect the toads battery to the MH with seperate line and fused and knife switches.

Again thank you Brett for your quick responses.

JOY

jim moore

Another possible option is a LED light bar installed on your toad and wired to your coach and no cutting, inserting diodes, etc on the toad. I was able to mount 2 DOT approved LED lightbars on our Tacomo toad below the tailgate. I wired the lightbars to the front of the pickup and terminated with a standard connector. Totally isolated from the toad wiring and no problems with coach driving the lightbars.