Sign in to follow this  
howardsmith

3-2 convertor HELP

I have a 2000 HR Vacationer that the 3-2 tail light convertor is bad but I cant find it on the coach anybody else had this problem and know the location. whatever I hook-up to tow ,the brake lights dont work and the right directional doesnt work ,but all the lights on the coach work. thanks for any help

Hi Howard and welcome to the forum.

Thinking you are referring to the wiring difference between the coach and toad light being different, with the coach having different lights for the turn signals and brake lights and the toad using the same light for the brakes and turn signals.

Chassis manufactures generally wire the toad/trailer circuit connections in the rear curbside area. Could you post you chassis manufacture for the group?

You might look at the Road Master tow-bar site. They have a number of wiring diagrams for interconnecting the coach and toad lighting, if you find a drawing that looks like the configuration you are trying to figure out. Copy and attach the link to you post. This way the members can look at what you are looking at and better resolve your issue.

You did not mention your familiarity with using a volt meter and not all of us are good with wiring issues.

I have been working with circuit wiring for years and always learning something from others posting on this group page and threads.

Hope this helps.

Rich.

I have a 2000 HR Vacationer that the 3-2 tail light convertor is bad but I cant find it on the coach anybody else had this problem and know the location. whatever I hook-up to tow ,the brake lights dont work and the right directional doesnt work ,but all the lights on the coach work. thanks for any help

I have owned 3 different HR coaches over the years (none the Vacationer model so that could be a bit different) and all had the light convertor wired into the circuits and mounted up behind the rear bumper within a foot or so of the receiver hitch. If you follow the wire harness backwards from the female connector mounted at the hitch you should find the convertor mounted to the frame somewhere in the area. One of the units I owned (a 1998 Endeavor) had the convertor simply wire tied on top of the hitch receiver cross brace. The first HR I purchased was a 1993 on a Ford F-53 chassis with a tag axle and I purchased a convertor to install to hook up a tow dolly and when I crawled under with my tools to start installation and started tracing the harness backwards for a good spot to make the mounting and wire installation, I was quite surprised to find a convertor already in place right where I had determined to be a good spot. It was fastened in the corner of the left frame rail and the rear frame crossmember. The other 2 HR coaches were diesel pushers and had the convertors mounted on the hitch receiver to the left of the center. I believe you will find yours (assuming it was factory installed) in a similar location.

The convertors installed on the HR coaches that I owned looked similar, if not exactly, like the ones available most everywhere. About 3" square and 3/4" thick with the wires coming from two opposite sides for connection to the 3 wire stop/signal wire coach circuit and the 2 wire for the towed unit.

On a vehicle with separate stop and turn signals you do not need a converter to connect to your coach. Properly wired your stop light will act as both turn and stop signal on the tow vehicle.

Come see me and for a small consideration I will wire your tow vehicle. (Sorry that isn't a solicitation.)

Herman

On mine I ran wires, on the motorhome, from the front right and left turn signals and the stop light switch to the rear connector. The lights on my pickup truck function the same as the truck alone.