rtinnman

Aftermarket front and rear stabilizers

I own a 2006 Monaco Monarch with a Ford chassis. I would like to know if anyone has installed an aftermarket front or rear stabilizer. Of course, each manufacturer states theirs is the best. I would appreciate any help.

Thank you

Bob T

I own a '06 Monaco Monarch with a Ford chassis. I would like to know if anyone has installed an aftermarket front or rear stabilizer. Of course, each manufacturer states theirs is the best. I would appreciate any help.

Thank you

Bob T

Bob,

Let's start out by determining what you want to improve about your coach's ride and/or handling. There are some good aftermarket suspension devices out there, but none are a "Silver Bullet" .

Areyou wanting to reduce side to side sway?

Are you wanting to make steering more precise/reduce need to constantly correct with steering wheel, particularly in cross winds?

Reduce porpoising?

Soften ride?

Other?

And lets start with the basics:

Have you weighed it-- individual wheel positions is best, axle weights as bare minimum? What are they and what are your GAWR (from plaque near driver's area)?

Is your tire pressure based on your tire manufacturer's recommendation for your actual weight (plus perhaps 5 PSI as a safety reserve)?

How many miles on it?

The more information you post, the more FACTS we can give you and the less "infomercials" you will get.

Brett Wolfe

Brett,

Thank you for the reply. There's only 12,000 miles on the coach and it's 30' long. I have a lot of sway, I would like to be able to control the steering more precise especially in cross winds. Side sway is another problem. I realize the sway is caused by the type of coach I have, also not having airbags.

GVWR 20,500

GAWR FRONT 7000

GAWR REAR 13,500

I have not had the coach weighed at a weigh station. I'll add an extra 5lbs. to the tire pressure.

Thanks

Bob Tinnerello

Brett,

Thank you for the reply. There's only 12,000 miles on the coach and it's 30' long. I have a lot of sway, I would like to be able to control the steering more precise especially in cross winds. Side sway is another problem. I realize the sway is caused by the type of coach I have, also not having airbags.

GVWR 20,500

GAWR FRONT 7000

GAWR REAR 13,500

I have not had the coach weighed at a weigh station. I'll add an extra 5lbs. to the tire pressure.

Thanks

Bob Tinnerello

Bob,

Do NOT add 5 PSI except to the MINIMUM PSI from your tire manufacturers inflation chart BASED ON YOUR ACTUAL WEIGHT.

Until you weigh it, go by the PSI recommendations on the GVWR plate by the driver's area. BUT, that could be 10 or more PSI different than what your actual weight calls for.

This Michelin document makes good reading irrespective of what brand of tires you have: Michelin RV Tire Guide

I am starting with tires, as over or under inflation can cause poor handling AND poor ride. So it is a good starting point.

And one thing I will answer right up front. This question is often asked: If the manufacturer know that there were devices that would make handling or ride better, why aren't they on the coach to start with.

Like all aspects of the RV, there are trade-offs between cost and benefits/features. Those same decisions are made on choices of interior fabrics, appliances, etc. What that means is that you CAN improve handling by spending money where, perhaps better (and more expensive) components are available.

As far as sway, an after market heavier rear sway bar WILL help. A sway bar has NO effect on ride or handling as long as both wheel positions on an axle are on the same plane (i.e. they do not add to ride stiffness). BUT if one wheel drops in a hole or hits a bump, the sway bar will exert a LOT of force to keep the wheels in the same plane-- i.e. REDUCE SWAY. For one wheel to be on a different plane from the other, there will have to be enough force to momentarely bend the forged steel sway bar from its "rest position". Here is one example from Roadmaster Suspension solutions for your chassis: F53 Rear Sway Bar

All RV's, to some degree exhibit loose or vague steering when compared with cars. But some of that can be controlled. One of the chief causes of this on a chassis with long leaf spring suspensions is the side to side "play" that can be induced in those long springs and spring shackles. Track bars (aka Panhard Rods) eliminate side to side play between chassis and axles while allowing full vertical travel. Check, but your 2006 will likely have a FRONT track bar standard from the factory. If not, one can be added. Aftermarket track bars are available for the rear.

Brett Wolfe