R_nilsen@msn.com

Freedom 458 Series Inverter/Charger (2000w)

The electrical service that we were plugged into shorted out (the neutral wires and lug melted. I immediatly tripped the breaker at the pole as I knew there was something wrong with the service. After getting the service repaired we plugged back into the shore power. Our inverter does not seem to be charging the coach batteries now. The charge light flashes at one second intervals indicating no shore power present. I checked the shore power at the power relay and verified that 120 volts is being sent to the inverter. I also unhooked shore pwr. and started the generator but the same condition exists. Can inverters be repaired or do we need to replace it? I'm using my car charger to charge the house batteries which I checked fluids in and topped off. The house batteries are only 1 year old. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We believe the reason for the shore power service failure (30 amp) was because we overloaded it by having too many appliances on at once, air, an extra freezer and tv's all at once. Once we solve the inverter problem should we do an equalizer charge?

The electrical service that we were plugged into shorted out (the neutral wires and lug melted. I immediately tripped the breaker at the pole as I knew there was something wrong with the service. After getting the service repaired we plugged back into the shore power. Our inverter does not seem to be charging the coach batteries now. The charge light flashes at one second intervals indicating no shore power present. I checked the shore power at the power relay and verified that 120 volts is being sent to the inverter. I also unhooked shore pwr. and started the generator but the same condition exists. Can inverters be repaired or do we need to replace it? I'm using my car charger to charge the house batteries which I checked fluids in and topped off. The house batteries are only 1 year old. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We believe the reason for the shore power service failure (30 amp) was because we overloaded it by having too many appliances on at once, air, an extra freezer and tv's all at once. Once we solve the inverter problem should we do an equalizer charge?

You have a fuse on the incoming 120 VAC line. Have you checked that?

Xantrex technical assistance: Tel: 408 987-6030

On edit 8/10/13, the online owners manual link has changed-- thanks, Rich for finding this. Please see post this date below for current (at least it works as of this date) owners manual.

When I go over to my coach this afternoon, I will see if I have a troubleshooting guide for your inverter/charger.

Brett Wolfe

I do have an electronic copy of the troubleshooting guide for the Freedom 458 as well as sources for the fuse if it is bad.

I would be happy to e-mail it to you.

Click on "Wolfe10" just above my photo.

Click on "Send Message".

Send me your e-mail address if you want these pdf documents.

Brett Wolfe

Thanks Brett for your input. Unfortunatly there's no fuse on the 120 VAC incoming line. If there was I probably wouldn't be having problems. There is a fuse on the P+ cable going to the house batteries and I checked for continuity across that fuse and found it to be ok. I have the Fredom 458 Owners manual which covers operation, batteries, charging batteries, installation, and a troubleshooting led chart (which is how I came up with the idea that the inverter is not recognizing the incoming 120V). I was just wondering if there's a internal fuse to protect the unit. I guess I'll try the Xantex tech support # next. thanks again...

Thanks Brett for your input. Unfortunately there's no fuse on the 120 VAC incoming line. If there was I probably wouldn't be having problems. There is a fuse on the P+ cable going to the house batteries and I checked for continuity across that fuse and found it to be OK. I have the Freedom 458 Owners manual which covers operation, batteries, charging batteries, installation, and a troubleshooting led chart (which is how I came up with the idea that the inverter is not recognizing the incoming 120V). I was just wondering if there's a internal fuse to protect the unit. I guess I'll try the Xantrex tech support # next. thanks again...

YES, the fuse on the incoming 120 VAC line IS internal.

Send me a message with what e-mail address you want the information on fuse sent to.

Here is an excerpt from the pdf:

Checking the Fuse F2

F2 is a ¼-amp fuse located inside the inverter/charger on the AC circuit board (the smaller of the two circuit

boards). Subjecting the inverter to an over-voltage on the AC INPUT can cause fuse F2 to fail. If this occurs, the

inverter/charger will invert, but it will no longer charge or transfer when AC power is applied to the AC INPUT.

The F2 fuse can be tested without removing it from the inverter/charger.

• Disconnect AC input wires from the inverter/charger (Charger AC input on Freedom 25 and Fleet Power

2500). Using an ohmmeter, check the resistance between the hot and neutral AC INPUT wires. The

resistance should measure from 150–170 ohms, indicating the fuse has not blown.

Brett Wolfe

Hello.

I saw this post about the Freedom 458 inverter/charger. It looks as if i have the same problem as the gentleman who started the post.

My inverter/charger will not charge. When engine runs, it charges up batteries and inverter works fine. When hooked up to shore power, charge blinks and will eventually go to red low battery.

I read there is a fuse for the incoming 120V and there is also a F2 1/4" amp 250v fuse inside the inverter. The users manual does not tell you anything about troubleshooting the inverter so I was hoping that anyone had input and the manual to guide me to a correct fix.

FYI, took it to a RV place and they told me my inverter was bad because it's putting out 16V and wanted to charge me $1700. I have a feeling that it's good but it's fuses after everything I have read.

I just can't find the fuses.

Thank you for your guidance.

mdilts,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Hopefully someone with a manual or first hand experience with the incoming fuse will reply.

But the "When hooked up to shore power .... will eventually go to red low battery." seems the exact opposite of "... they told me my inverter was bad because it's putting out 16V".

I don't know where you are located, but I had problems with my 458. It was not the fuse. Called Xantrex and got a RMA number. They wanted me to ship it to Washington state. Elkhart has a Xantrex repair center, but will only accept walk in repairs if you get the RMA number from the Washington site which I believe is really a British Columbia location.

mdilts,

Welcome to FMCA

The issue is the 458 charger is not charging your coach batteries.

Questions:

Could you post the Make,Model and Year of your Coach ? The coach manufactures wire things a little different.

Do you have the Owners Manual and or the installation Manual?

Do you have any of the AC outlets that are not working ?

Reason for the questions is I'm trying to find some problem and eliminate others in the AC power feed.

Rich.

The Xantrex information listed in the second post (#2), Brett attached a link to the owners manual that will display a 404 error.

Link moved or no longer available.

What I have found is that the original printing of the manual is no longer on Xantrex's list of manuals

One can get an owners manual at this link. However! The Troubleshooting section just lists what the LED display patterns mean.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inverter-Chargers/Freedom-458/Freedom458%28445-0193-01-01_rev-2%29.pdf

The link below is for information on troubleshooting the unit. This short Guide covers items and information no longer listed in the available manual. This information was printed in 1998. Allot has changed in 15 years!

http://www.tekrispower.com/pdfs/xantrex/Freedom-Fleet%20Power%20Troubleshooting.pdf

I have a feeling that other information included in the Original Printing is missing, but hope this fills in some of the gaps.

Note! this information will list 12, 24, and 32 volt units. The 32 volt units are out of production and a 48 volt unit has replaced it. The 48 volt units are more for the residential solar systems.

The other item that one runs into with equipment! The parts be come harder to find or are NLA. With that in mind one would be better off replacing an older unit.

For those who love a challenge, finding a old manual and the proper skills. It makes for a interesting hobby. :rolleyes:

Rich.

Hello everyone.

Hope someone can help. I need to change the F2 fuse on my Freedom 20 inverter. How the heck do you access the F2 board as the fuse is way up underneath and the F2 board is connected to the F1 board. I noticed that someone changed theirs, so if you can please send me some suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thank you so much

Hugh

I have a 2001 Fleetwood Expedition 30amp service with a Xantrex 458 2000. My battery monitor goes to yellow and I lose microwave circuit.

I unplug shore power for a minute, replug then circuit works for about 12hrs any ideas?

kadesh,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Sounds like you are loosing 120 VAC to the inverter. If all other 120 VAC items such as roof A/C work when this happens, look at the breaker for the inverter and then look at the inverter itself.

When on shore power, your battery should be charged by the inverter/charger and shore power should be "passed though" to power that microwave (rather than having it powered by the battery through the inverter).

kadesh,

Welcome!

Sounds like a possible thermal cutout issue.

How old are you coach batteries and what is the charge level of the batteries when you disconnect from shore power after about 30 min. ?

Rich.

Hello everyone.

Hope someone can help. I need to change the F2 fuse on my Freedom 20 inverter. How the heck do you access the F2 board as the fuse is way up underneath and the F2 board is connected to the F1 board. I noticed that someone changed theirs, so if you can please send me some suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thank you so much

Hugh

Hugh,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Getting to the Freedom units on some coach's can be and issue itself! They are generally screwed down.

Reading your post, do you have the unit already opened up?

Then its the issue of enough wire to allow the unit to be located so one can remove the top cover.

The boards are held in place by clips or small screws. Some of the boards plug into other boards.

Take some pictures before taking items loose.

Disconnect all power from the unit before doing anything. Remove the 12 volt Ground and the Positive lead from the batteries.

Could you post a few pictures of its location and the board layout, if you have removed the cover? Then the group can see what your internal layout looks like.

You might want to call the company for some help also.

Rich.

Hugh,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Getting to the Freedom units on some coach's can be and issue itself! They are generally screwed down.

Reading your post, do you have the unit already opened up?

Then its the issue of enough wire to allow the unit to be located so one can remove the top cover.

The boards are held in place by clips or small screws. Some of the boards plug into other boards.

Take some pictures before taking items loose.

Disconnect all power from the unit before doing anything. Remove the 12 volt Ground and the Positive lead from the batteries.

Could you post a few pictures of its location and the board layout, if you have removed the cover? Then the group can see what your internal layout looks like.

You might want to call the company for some help also.

Rich.

Hi Rich, and thank you for replying back to me.

The unit is completely removed and I have taken off the cover. Attached are some pictures.

The main problem is that I cannot access the F2 board fuse as the F2 board is connected to the F1 board and I do not know how to separate them - or access the F2 fuse.. Any help is greatly appreciated. It is model 81201012(203).

I did try to get some assistance from the company - but still waiting.

How to you post pictures to the forum?

Thank you.

Hugh, When you want to attach pictures, open the More reply potion feature.

At the bottom left there is a attach feature, open it and attach the pictures from you file(s) of pictures.

Note, if you can reduce the picture size (Using paint or some other program to reduce the picture from say 6meg. down to say 500k ) you use less of your allotted amount and the members can still get a look at your item.

One over all picture of the item and then picture(s) of the area(s) of interest helps save space and still allows for images to be viewed with better detail.

If you need to post additional pictures, we can exchange personal emails to pass info. back and forth.

Hope that helps.

Rich.

Hi again.

First picture, close up of the F2 fuse. You can see the end of it.

Second picture showing F2 board back a bit from the first picture.

Third is taken from the other side.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks again

post-39117-0-65660100-1395862969_thumb.j

post-39117-0-57850200-1395863726_thumb.j

post-39117-0-28847800-1395863735_thumb.j

Hugh,

It should come loose / removed by removing the Phillips hear screws that go through the board next to the fuse. Just loosen them and see if the board moves.

Looks like there are some small push switches, on the right side of the board ( last picture) They should come away from the panel; as you tip the board up to remove the fuse.

NOTE ! the board could have electrostatic sensitive parts, so you might want to have a grounding strap system. They are available at Radio Shack and other electronic suppliers.

Fuse looks like a standard 3/4in. by 1/4in fuse.

With the board raised up out of the way, with a piece of cardboard between it and where it might contact other areas of the unit. you should be able pop it out.

Pop off a reply if you have any questions or if you think I'm missing something.

Rich

Hi again,

I will send another picture tomorrow. It is the push switches that I am concerned/confused about. It is confusing (to me) how to unhook them to separate the boards to access the board in question. I appreciate your assistance!

Hugh

The little push switches are soldered to the circuit board. They often have a soft pressure pad mounted to the panel to keep dirt and water from getting to the switch. Thinking there is no real mechanical connection between the two. Just the travel of the outside part makes contact with the switch when pressed.

It will be interesting to look at a picture of how they are set up.

Rich.

Hi again.

Two pictures. First picture is the top of the F2 board (the fuse is underneath on the board - seen in previous picture). The second picture shows how there are two chips/connectors that couple the F2 board to the F1 and another board (two black connectors). Do these pull apart? If not, I cannot see how to access the underneath of the F2 board to remove/replace the fuse.

thanks again!

Hugh

post-39117-0-53257100-1396012596_thumb.j