Sign in to follow this  
Selah

To Cover Or Not To Cover .....

Just ordered a new Allegro 36LA.

We will be storing it outside In a commercial storage lot. Would like to get some thoughts from the veterans ( we are newbies) on whether we should use a cover or not. They seem to be reasonably priced but don't know the pros and cons.

Paul .....

Would like to list all the stuff we have

But we haven't got it yet... Another 6 weeks maybe.

With a new coach I would not store it outside. I have stored all of the coaches I've had, in the last 25 years, inside. Most of the people I've talked to that have used covers thought they were too hard to use and cause some damage to the finish.

Inside storage is by far the best option. Covers are an expensive pain...heavy, thus hard to get on the roof and put on, may rub a place on the MH or the MH may rub a hole in the cover, need to find a place to store it when on the road, can't get in the RV with the cover on (unless it has a zippered door), RV gets moldy if cover is too tight, etc.

For a new rig, IMHO the best option, by far, is covered and locked storage with power.

Is someone saying that covers are expensive? Expensive compared to indoor storage? Heavy? Yes. Expensive? No (by comparison). If you have already made the decision to store the unit outside I would absolutely use a cover and it would be the best that money can buy.

Of course inside, heated, and powered would be our first option... But!

Can't store it at home, neighborhood covenants, and we priced out an inside heated (no power) at $285.00/mo. With all of the expenses of equiping a new motorhome, we are new to the RV life, that is simply too much at least for this year. Did find some covered storage for much less but it is more than an hours drive from home. We live in Indianapolis. So, outside storage it is.

I now have one yes and one no. Any one else?

Your MH, and of course, your call, but a cover would be my last choice. I store my MH in a boat storage yard where the owner has a few MH storage garages. Look around maybe you can find something similar. A city the size of IND surely has something available. $285 is a bit steep, must be due to being heated.

Hi Selah,

Since inside storage is not feasable at this time, you have to decide how big a hassle it will be to wrestle with the cover and how much that will affect the joy and ease of playing with your coach. Especially in the beginning, you'll want to head out as often as possible, bring it home for weekends, and get everything set up the way you want it.

If dealing with the cover is going to add extra time and trouble, or if you'll need a second person to help each time, then consider how that will impact how often you'll use the coach. Having the coach as nearby as possible and as "ready to go" as possible (at least for my family) means we use it more often.

On the other hand, we live in California and use the coach year round. If you won't be going out during the chilly months anway, then the hassle factor may not be too important.

The earlier posts are all correct; i.e. inside or covered storage will help your motorhome last longer. As long as your efforts to preserve the coach don't diminish your use and enjoyment, then there really isn't a wrong answer. I if were in your shoes, I'd go without the cover for a few months and see how it goes. You'll have more information then to make a good decision that works for your family.

Good luck with your new motorhome.

Tim

Thanks everyone. Shields has some good points and I think that is the route I'll go. I'll wait on the RV cover and see how it goes. I'll also continue to look for sove inside or covered storage.

Store your motorhome as close to home as possible. The cover will be a problem.

They are big and heavy and you need storage when not in use.

I found having a cover meant I used my motorhome less and storing to far from home I used it even less.

Give it a good wax and keep it washed and let the chips fall.