Sign in to follow this  
Les854

Tripping GFI Breaker

Hi All,

I just bought a used 1997 Infinity motorhome. It is our first one and we bought used to see if this is something we would enjoy. The coach is not what the seller said it was and it's my bad for buying it. The first problem I have is when I connect AC to the coach for power it trips the breaker. I have the batteries disconnected. Any clue where I should start looking for the problem? Also, I have no owners manual and cannot locate one - any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Les...

I would turn off all breakers then plug in to see if you trip your house GFI. If you do, there is a problem with the main line to your coach, possibly a grounded wire or a shorted neutral and ground. If not, turn on main breaker. Your GFI sould not trip. Now one by one turn on one of the single breakers and check each time to see if you trip your GFI until you find the one that trips your GFI. Hopefully, you are familular with using a meter and testing procedures, because once you find which breaker causes your GFI to trip, you will need to trace that circuit to find the problem. This will be the hard task. One of my circuits has 19 outlets and 3 juction boxes and just getting to the wire and boxes is not easy, under the bed, behind cabinets, under other cabinets, behind trim and false panels, etc. Please keep us posted on your progress.

When you are connecting it to the ac, is it a 50 amp circuit or a 30 or 20/15? If you are adapting down to a lower amp you might be overloading the house breaker.

I don't know where the main breaker is located. All I see is the fuse boxes. Also, I am plugging into a 15 amp breaker. With nothing on will it draw that much current? Something is pulling a fair amount of power because when I plug it in I see an arc before the GFI breaks.

If it is tripping the breaker as opposed to the GFI, your battery charger may be on, and if the batteries are deeply discharged, that can pull a lot of power. Same for water heater electric element and several other "not easy to see" items.

As suggested, locate your coach's 120 VAC breaker box. It will likely have breakers, not fuses like the 12 VDC box. Turn off the top one (the main). See if it trips EITHER the house breaker or GFI-- let us know what happens and whether it is the breaker or GFI that trips. If it does trip, the problem is in your adapters, shore power cord, wiring to ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) or wiring to the 120 VAC breaker box.

If it does not trip, start turning on breakers one at a time. Let us know exactly what happens.

Thanks all - I still can't locate the breakers. The only ones I see are on the generator and they have no effect. I need to locate a manual for this thing or pray for lighting to hit it (possibly this coming weekend). Worse purchase of my life...

ok, waitaminute ..

Is it the GFI thats popping, or the breaker itself. Theres a big difference in the cause and solution.

If its the GFI (which I'm reading into a lot of your replies to assume this) *AND* you are using an adapter to go from say 50a to 15a, its likely going to trip the GFI all day long. The only coaches that this doesn't happen on are the kind that establish a separate ground prior to putting the load on the shore power. The reason is that most RVs have just enough load-leaking across things to trigger the GFI across the 50a "dual legs" which get bussed together in the 15amp "single" leg.

You can get around this with an isolation transformer, but one that will handle 15a (1850VA) will run you ~$800

Best to pull the GFI and install a normal outlet if you can. OR even better, whatever natural outlet 30a/50a your rig needs.

wyle.e.kyote,

That makes a lot of sense to me. I am plugging into my detached garage and every outet I installed is going through a GFI (better safe than dead). I will go the the big box tomorrow and buy a standard breaker. With any luck I will correct the first of many issues.

Thanks everyone - I already feel the love :) This is a great forum!

Les...

If you are changing why don't you go ahead and wire in a 50 or 30 amp service. You can't run much on a 15 amp circuit even if it is a dedicated standard breaker.

Wyle,

That was it. I bypassed the GFI with a standard outlet and all is good.

Desert,

I just need to test the functions of the coach - 15 A s/b good enough to check everything out individually. At most the outlet will be used to maintain the batteries.

Again, thanks all - I really appreciate the help.

Les...