I'm in the market for tires for my Providence... anyone have any experience with Hankook Tires?

Hankook is a Korean manufacturer, # 7 in the world and the tires I'm considering (275/70R22.5) are built in Akron, Ohio. Just saw that Hankook is the OEM supplier for Daimler Trucks and Freightliner Trucks as well.

Have Goodyears on it now, considering Michelin's because of the FMCA program but Hankook's are looking good at $2,900. for 6 mounted and balanced. Anybody running them currently or have any feedback?

I have three or four friends that are running them on there Coaches and all like them better then Michelin's.

They report better performance when there is a cross wind and the coaches handle the road tracks caused by the heavy trucks better.

They appear to have a different sidewall characteristic. So the ride is stiffer,but with air ride they perform well for them.

If you look there are a number of the 18 wheelers running them.

You might like to read Tireman's response to changing tire sizes that he posted today also.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

Rich.

In my humble opinion Michelin has been and is now the benchmark standard for tires on motor homes, RVs, and cars. If Michelin tires are the same price I am always going to take them. That said, I think that there are a number of good makers of tires for our rigs. I have not purchased any Hankooks, but have had good luck with BF Goodrich, Firestone, Good Year, Michelin, and Dunlop tires for motor homes that I have owned. What I do pay attention to is when the tires are made - newer is better, and I also only buy tires made in the USA. They are better. And even if they are only as good I have helped keep people in this country working.

We took advantage of the FMCA Michlelin Program in August and are really happy that we did. The dealer charged $40 per tire to mount and balance. We have a 36' Itasca Meridian.

One thing to consider when getting MH tires, is that normally they will die of old age long before the tread wears out.

I am a Michelin fan. Purchased our last ones a Superior Tire in Salem OR. These are truck tire folks and really know their stuff. Also honor the FMCA discount. We run the XZE, load range G on our 28' Trek. XZE is a standard commercial tire, better side wall protection, deeper tread, more readily available and a few bucks less than XRV.

I replaced my Michelins with Hankooks 2 years ago. Can't tell the difference.

Have only added air once during that time, less than 5 psi per tire.

Ride and handle well.

Looked at a new Sonic yesterday, OEM are Hankook.

I put 255 70 22.5 Hankooks on my motorhome 2 1/2 years ago.Required no weights at all have no beads either. Ride is a little stiffer than Michelin were but still good.

Have added air 3-5 lbs once a year so far, wear shows none but only travel 5000 to 7000 a year. I would definitely buy again.

In my humble opinion Michelin has been and is now the benchmark standard for tires on motor homes, RVs, and cars. If Michelin tires are the same price I am always going to take them. That said, I think that there are a number of good makers of tires for our rigs. I have not purchased any Hankooks, but have had good luck with BF Goodrich, Firestone, Good Year, Michelin, and Dunlop tires for motor homes that I have owned. What I do pay attention to is when the tires are made - newer is better, and I also only buy tires made in the USA. They are better. And even if they are only as good I have helped keep people in this country working.

BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin, BTW.

Our last set of Michelins lasted over 8 years and were made in Spain. Never had a moments trouble with them even after Michelin allowed them to be run overloaded according to their charts (loaded to 125 psi rating but only 120 psi (wheel max) in the tires). They put it in writing on Michelin letterhead. I ran them below 120 psi from 2002 to 2004 and at 120 psi from 2004 till 2010 with no problems, not even a flat during that whole time.

I got mine at Superior Tire in Portland OR, this was before the Advantage program was announced but still got good prices.

SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH MICHELIN ADVANTAGE PLAN!!!

WE (FMCA) are not getting anything from Michelin!!

I run the Michelin XRV 235X80RX22.5  a proprietary size that no one else but Michelin makes and Freightliner puts on a lot of their chassis. When purchased the coach had XZE tires all around. They rode well and now that I have the XRV's I can not tell the difference. While I like the Michelin tire, I don't feel that we are getting much from the Michelin Advantage Tire program. Bought four tires last week and paid a base price of $447 instead of the $412 FMCA posted on their site. Waited three weeks for the Michelin dealer to get the tires in and then paid more than $564.00 per tire out the door, F.E.T., GA sales Tax, Ga EPA Fee, tire disposal, bead balance, mount.  Two different non-Michelin dealers in a near by towns, sell the same tire for $550.00 out the door, F.E.T., GA Sales & EPA, tire disposal,  spin balanced, mounted. Waited 40 minuets for him to get tire from warehouse.  DOT 1717 & 1317

Go figure?

Michelin Advantage.pdf

Michelin 6-17-2017.jpg

UPDATE: Called FMCA and Michelin Advantage Customer Service and got the invoice straitened out. It appears they did not know how to bill under the FMCA program. The dealer  gave me a total refund to my credit card, and then Michelin billed me correctly resulting in almost one hundred dollar credit per tire. 

Edited by rlbarkleyii
Update