Sign in to follow this  
Drill

GM 6.2 Diesel

I'm new to motor homes. Haven't even bought one yet.

Looking at an ad for a 1987 Empress Triple E that has a GM 6.2 diesel engine with an Allison tranny. Any one have any advice one way or the other.

In advance thank you.

Drill,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

The Chevy 6.2 and 6.5 diesel were some of the least well respected diesel on the market-- do not compare with Cummins or Caterpillar engines. And it would not have come from the factory with an Allison transmission-- it would have come with a Chevy/GM transmission.

Drill,

All I can remember about the GM diesel were the problems they had when they first arrived on the market. A friend of mine was the service manager for a Oldsmobile dealer and had the engine replaced twice on his demo. I still don't have good feelings about those engines.

Brett, I know that it hasn't been that far back that GM/Workhorse began to put the Allison Transmission in units. Was that about the same time they began to put them in their 3500 (1 Ton) trucks? Do you recall about what year that was?

Herman

Herman, My 2001- 8.1- 2500 has a GM 80 series transmission. Thinking that the Allison was added around 02/03 time period.

The bottom half of the early GM Diesels did not hold up well with the increased compression needed for the engine. Think they tried to use the same block that they used for the gas units.

Rich.

In the mid 80's they were sold in Chevy and GMC pickups and was touted as a good hauler for 5th wheels. Customers were told that since it was a diesel it could pull anything. WRONG!! We installed lots of turbos which help quite abit but there were other problems such as glow plugs that failed, fuel filter problems, etc. That engine made us a lot of money!

I agree that Cat or Cummins were better engines, but there way out of my price range. What do you guys think of the GMC motorhomes with the Oldsmobile 455 front wheel drive set up? I see some 26ft advertised in my price range.

The GM front wheel drive motorhomes has some problems. The final drive ratio is high, some where around 3.50, needs to be lower such as 4.11-4.30. Ring and pinion is not possible because of physical limitations. The GMC also used a special built 6 kw Onan which had quite a few problems. We were an Onan dealer in the 80's and we serviced quite a few of them. Another problem area was the rear air bags. They would blow for no apparent reason. I was at the FMCA convention back in the 70's at Souix Falls a bag blew, after being parked for several days, breaking the fiberglass fender skirt. It is recomended to carry at least 2 spare bags at all times.