Benfrench

Frustrated ... Looking for Younger RVers

Hello All,

I grew up with FMCA and recently my wife and I purchased a Type B Motorhome and joined FMCA ourselves. I enjoy the forums, and I enjoy the companionship while Rving. We belong to a chapter, and while great people, they are nowhere near our age...I can't seem to find a group of folks in our age group for us to camp with. This is more of a rant and not much else, but thought I would get it out of my system.

-Ben

By the way, I am 28 and my wife is 26, we have been married 6 years and have had 3 pop-ups before purchasing the van.

Ben, I just responded to your question about Class "B" Chapters. Look to the dealer where you got your coach. Ask him to pass your name on to other class "B" owners. You may find several couple in the same position as you and your wife. You have a valid point about age. You have a chance to start a chapter of not only Class"B" coaches but one that caters a younger group no matter what they drive. Who knows one of these days you can pass on to another young couple how you helped start a chapter for young people. Remember this is the FAMILY Motor Coach Association.

Good luck and let us all know how you do.

Herman

Appreciate the encouragement. I bought my coach from a private party so I feel that the dealer options not feaseable. I would like to find some younger folks though. Open call to any younger, or young at heart, folks in New England...? Anyone...?

Ben,

I would encourage you to look beyond FMCA for others like yourself who might be encouraged to join FMCA and form a group to camp together. One reason to look beyond FMCA is that younger people may not be aware of FMCA, may be too busy to look for others interested in camping together, may not be inclined to join an organization of campers without some encouragement.

Where would you find these people? Look around you the next time you are in a campground. Find others of similar age and start a conversation. Even if you start with just a few people, they can reach out to others and you can build a new chapter of FMCA. Invite a few other campers in your target group over to your campsite for a happy hour or afternoon snack time. Take a few outdoor games with you to play games with others. This is how many of today's existing chapters were started. If there are camping events in your local area, attending them may be a good place to look for others with similar interests.

Once you get a group together, get some information about your activities in a local newspaper. A press release can be prepared for each family in your group to take home for their home newspaper. Of course, I'm older so I think of newspapers. How about Facebook? Or tweeting your adventures as they happen? Make a video and post it on You Tube. Find ways to let others in your area know what your are doing and make your contact information available.

Good luck with your search.

Back in 81 I helped form a chapter. About half of the menbers were families with young kids. It was great. That same chapter today has all older folks.

Ben, I don't know if I'd be much help in regards you looking for much younger RVers, but I'm 46 and my wife is 41, and we have 2 kids, 16 and 11. I'm in Colorado, so may not get your way much, but you're welcome to stop in if you come out our way. I also grew up with FMCA and my parents joined after attending a rally with the New England chaper around 1968. I'm originally a Conn. Yankee from Cheshire CT, and miss the new england area.

Did you keep your parents F-number (with an S attached)?

Friends of ours live in Chesire! I did keep my parents number, I told my mother that I was taking it...lol. Appreciate the off and if we ever find ourselves in CO we will give you a shout.

Hey Ben

Welcome! We sorta fell into the same category. What if a group outside FMCA started a camping club at church or the Elks lodge. We had some friends ex-military that started one at the local base ... Just a thought.

Kathy

Hi Ben,

We just joined FMCA even though we were already RVing 38 years and bought our 1st class c in 1987 and 1st new class c in 1994 when we still had kids at home. Our 2 girls were raised camping across America but we were always "alone". We never knew that class C RVs could belong to FMCA, and only found out when we went into a used class A diesel pusher last year.

Over the years we found that not many people younger than 40 got out in family coaches much, they typically pulled trailers, pop-ups or now the big thing my daughter (in her 30's) and all friends are into- 5th wheel toy haulers. We spent all our summers and many spring breaks at state and national parks and had the girls join the junior ranger, junior angler, and junior naturalist programs offered by the parks. You might want to consider that.

My husband still hasn't hit 60 yet- but we recently went out to Quartzsite and met up with a group called the ESCAPES. The group we met seemed to be 40-50ish (none in their 20-30s that we saw) but they are part of FMCA (or a spin-off) and they asked us if we were camping with the "fossils" which we realize we will soon be categorized as. So my guess is that you might want to also try one of the ESCAPES clubs- they have 4 wheeling clubs, service clubs, and many opportunities for meeting "younger" RVers. and I think they welcome various rigs. We plan to join them also.

There is a lot of wisdom in the "fossil" age group so going to rallies can be fun with FMCA- don't give up on the older RVers yet!

Joe & Cathy

Try attending the NorthEast rally in Essex Juntion, VT this July 17th - 21st. Might be a good platform for you to make your plea-presentation to form a younger age group chapter.