Sign in to follow this  
laserman

Travel Planning/Monitoring Solution PC Tablet/Streets And Trips

I would like to plan my travel using Streets and trips software from Microsoft on my Laptop, then use, either a GPS device such as a Garmin 2475LT for on the road real-time monitoring. I will be planning a multi-point trip in a rented mid-size or small size vehicle so screen and hardware size might be a factor. I also will be using Autoroute 2011(same platform as S & T) for the same purpose for a trip in Europe . Anyone cans suggest best GPS solution?

I read some people using a PC tablet coupled with an external GPS antenna such as a MU-343 instead of a GPS device. Anyone?

I have used Delorme since the first release of Street Atlas. There is a learning curve as there is any software, but it does allow you to plan your complete trip. When making plans for a trip where I need to cross the country, I put in overnight stops, fuel stops, preferred routes to see a site that I want to see, etc.

I would suggest a stand alone, smallish, GPS unit such as the Garmin units (so many you will have to pick the one that suits your needs). Being able to move the unit between the RV and the toad is just as important as having a good unit to start with. I don't think leaving a laptop or tablet in your car (your navigation device) is a good idea due to the possibility of tempting a thief.

If you choose a hand held sized device there are many choices including the new Rand McNally which has a number or RV specific POI's but has a serious problem with screen visibility (glare).

Just getting ready for our first big adventure of around 3500mi from New Mexico to Indiana and back in our 1998 Safari Trek and I have purchased the Magellan Roadmate RV9145-LM specifically designed for the RV. After reading many reviews for this 7" device and comparing it to the Rand McNally and others I picked this one and so far like how it works and the ability to program in all of our trip ahead of time for stops and campgrounds. This unit is also pre-programmed with all of the Good Sam campgrounds and also list privately owned ones along with many POI's and selectable POI's such as resteurants by type of food and many other POI's too. There are also programmable buttons that can be assigned on the "One Touch" screen for simple and quick access as you like. I've been using in-car GPS units now for over 5yr withe TomTom, Garmin and now two Magellan units so just my two cents worth here. Hope it helps...