Oceancouple

Converter And House Batteries

We are new at camping with our RV coach and was on our second camping trip for 8 days.

We were hooked up to 50 amps. I guess it was about the second or third day, or so, we started to have problems with our house power. Noticed on panel batteries were going lower on charge. I had the power source checked at campground to see if it was there problem and it wasn't checked out OK.

Managed to complete our 8 days with little house power and drove back home. Took coach to dealership and they said i needed new batteries so I replaced them. I have a 50 amp hookup where I store it so it was plugged in after visiting dealership and left air conditioner on over night with a light on to see if everything was OK.

Nope, panel showed battery losing charge. Took it to dealership and they said it was a converter now. Question is-- would a bad converter kill my batteries to the point that I would have to replace them.

I have extended warranty on coach but didn't cover batteries because of (use) they said. I don't mind paying if that is the case but don't want to be fooled either.

The answer is yes, if the batteries were not being charged they could go bad. More likely is that the dealer was wrong that your batteries were bad and the problem all along was the converter. If the converter is not working your batteries will not maintain the charge. If the dealer will provide you with documentation that they properly load tested the batteries and found them to be defective you might have a pretty good case that the failed converter caused the batteries to fail. Now, of course, the only way any of this would help is if those specific components are included in that warranty.

It doesn't sound like a very good shop. They should have figured out why the batteries went dead before replacing them. This is standard procedure that we have been doing in our RV service shop for 30 some odd years.

Question if your coach is staying in storage (@ home with shore power connected) how are the house batteries charged?

Does the inverter charge batteries?

Or just convert 12 volt to AC?

Thanks

Mdk152@aol.com

Question if your coach is staying in storage (@ home with shore power connected) how are the house batteries charged?

Does the inverter charge batteries?

Or just convert 12 volt to AC?

Thanks

Mdk152@aol.com

The answer is that just a straight inverter only takes 12 VDC from the battery and "makes" 120 VAC.

But, the vast majority of inverters in RV's are inverter/chargers-- so they do BOTH.

If the inverter is just an inverter, then you would have a separate charger or converter.

Oceancouple,

Could you post the Model, Make and Year of your coach ?

That would help pin down what type of system you have regarding the 12 volt system and how things might be wired.

Rich.

Oceancouple,

Can you also advise what the model of your inverter/converter is? Also, what kind of batteries were replaced (wet cell, AGM, etc.)?

With a 2011 model coach, I would assume it came with an inverter/converter/charger. If so, then we have fairly new batteries failing suddenly. The usual suspects would be (1) overcharging {such as boiled dry}; or (2) undercharging {ran down so low they were ruined}.

Given your circumstances, #2 seems more probable. For some reason your batteries were not being charged and they ran down so far they were ruined. If so, we need to solve the problem before the new batteries meet the same fate.

Are you handy enough to test the voltage at the batteries? If so, what is the voltage (1) with the coach plugged in to to 120 VAC, (2) unplugged and engine off, and (3) unplugged and engine running? Let's see what the readings are. That should answer some of the questions.

Tim

Thanks for all the responses I have received. The dealership ( La Mesa RV ) in West Palm Beach, Fl. have the coach at this moment, and have fixed the converter. The issue with the batteries, haven't been resolved as of yet, as they are doing other work, ordering parts and waiting for completion. The dealership in West Palm is new and do have problems with there service department, being over worked, small quarters, and not having qualified people to work on RVs is vary obvious at this moment. Being new as a owner of a RV coach has had its moments and a learning experience. In the past 3 months, they have had to rewire one of the slideouts, and I had the jacks stuck half way, which also had to be serviced. Thanks again folks for all the info and help.