snuffle

Locked Steering Wheel When Using Tow Dolly?

I was reading the instruction manual for a Roadmaster RM3477 noticed it stated that the steering wheel of the towed vehicle must be locked or secured to prevent the vehicle from moving and damaging the vehicle and dolly by hitting the dolly fenders.

My questions are:

(1) Do all dollies have this requirement?

(2) How likely is it that the car will shift position if not secured?

(3) How do you secure the steering wheel if doesn't lock with the key (mine doesn't lock)?

I was reading the instruction manual for a Roadmaster RM3477 noticed it stated that the steering wheel of the towed vehicle must be locked or secured to prevent the vehicle from moving and damaging the vehicle and dolly by hitting the dolly fenders.

My questions are:

(1) Do all dollies have this requirement?

(2) How likely is it that the car will shift position if not secured?

(3) How do you secure the steering wheel if doesn't lock with the key (mine doesn't lock)?

1) Our Mastertow Dolly does

2) I have no idea

3) If you turn the ignition off and then try to turn the wheel it should lock down.

3) If you turn the ignition off and then try to turn the wheel it should lock down.

The OP indicated that his vehicle does not do that (neither does mine and many others these days).

The last vehicle I owned that did not have a steering wheel lock as a 1972 Ford Bronco.

When you pull out the key it may move a little, but if you firmly turn it to the left and right it should lock. What kind of car(s) are you towing?

The last vehicle I owned that did not have a steering wheel lock as a 1972 Ford Bronco.

When you pull out the key it may move a little, but if you firmly turn it to the left and right it should lock. What kind of car(s) are you towing?

Seriously? You think I don't know how a steering wheel lock works?

I am towing a Chevy van and it has NO steering wheel lock. I have towed it for months now with the keys in my pocket (my last van did have a steering wheel lock). Many other units these days do not have steering locks as well. I think the Jeep line is one of the most popular ones that do not lock.

My apologies. I was not trying to make light of the situation. Please note the OP asked "How likely is it that the car will shift position if not secured?" Your Chevy Van may not have a steering wheel lock, but the original reference was to a "car" and not a Van. That is why my question asked what kind of "car(s)" are being towed. I am not aware of any modern cars that do not have a steering wheel lock. I am not saying there aren't any, only that I am not aware of any.

Again I apologize for my response.

I have a 2007 Saturn Vue, and the steering wheel does not lock.

Now I don't know if that is a design of the car, or if the previous owner broke the locking tabs off, but it doesn't lock.

The OP indicated that his vehicle does not do that (neither does mine and many others these days).

Hey, RVerOnTheMove................

I was trying to answer the OP question to the best of my ability. It seems you have a little attitude with which I will not tangle. The best to you.

Don

Snuffle,

One idea for securing your steering wheel would be what tow truck drivers did years ago. When towing a car from the rear (i.e. front wheels only on the ground) we looped a short rope around the steering wheel and closed the driver's side door over the rope. The rope then kept the steering wheel from moving while we towed the car.

I haven't used a tow dolly and don't know if this would work; but it might and it would certainly be cheap and easy.

Good luck,

Tim

Use a tight bungee cord to tie steering wheel so it will not move freely......This will work whether its on tow dolly or on the ground. As long as your front wheels are pointing straight ahead, you are ready to go. Ron S.