Sign in to follow this  
Drill

Fuel Mileage

I am a first time buyer with a limited budget. It seems the engines in most rigs in my range have either a 454GM, 460 Ford or 440 Dodge. I know there are many variables, but can any one give me a ball park guesstimate at the mileage these engine would give me? What about other costs per mile? Thanks for any advice.

Drill,

Your mileage will depend on many factors particular to the coach you buy and how you drive. As a very general rule of thumb, the gas coaches I've driven got about 7 to 8 mpg on the highway and as little as 4 mpg in city stop and go driving.

The size, weight, condition, tire pressure, and driving habits will all affect the mileage. But, if you "guesstimate" an average of 6 mpg for mixed city and highway driving, and figure gas at $4.00 per gallon, then it comes to about $0.66 per mile.

Good luck,

Tim

Tim

That is about what I was expecting. I know there are so many variables that guessing any closer than that is impossible. Thanks for the info.

Drill

I run my DP at about $.50 a mile so for a 1000 miles it would cost you about $160 more than me for fuel at $4 a gallon

Just don't buy a few cases of beer, wine, or whiskey, don't chase the girls, and you can make up the difference.

You maintenance costs on the gasser are going to be considerably less than a DP.

Good luck.

We had a 1996 Georgie Boy Class C (31') with the Ford 460 V8 and towed a 1996 Geo Tracker. We averaged 4.5 MPG.

We now have a 1989 Foretravel class A 36' with a 8.2 Detroit Diesel and tow the Geo. We average 8.55 MPG. We have gotten as high as 11.94 MPG coming home from TX with a 30-60 MPH tailwind!!

Fuel mileage is a difficult thing to determine, to many variables in the equation. I only can speak for myself.

I have a Winnebago Tour,40 feet with a 400 Cummins and an auto transmission and get 7.979 mile per gallon on average towing my Honda CR-V.

Not bad really. I would like more but I will take it.

Drill,

If it hasn't been said before, Welcome to the Forum and the wonderful world of RVing.

As has been said, many things go in to figuring the cost when Rving.

Vacation by car:

Ten nights on Motels and or Hotels, avergae cost $100.00 per day = $1,000.00

Mileage in car 16-18 mpg time 1,500 miles at $3.75/gal. = aprox. $330.00 Fuel cost

Meals, 40 (2 people X 2 per day) times $10.00 per = $400.00

Basic Cost, $2,200.00 (daily expenses added in)

Vacation By Motor Home:

Ten night in RV parks aveaage cost $40.00 per night = $400.00

Mileage in RV 7 mpg times 1500 miles at 3.75/gal = $805.00

Meals in coach 10 days at $10.00/day = $100.00

Meals out 20 at $10.00 = $200.00

Basic cost, $2,000.00 ( adding in same daily expenses)

Pluses for Vacation by Car:

1) you already have the car and can use it all year long.

Negatives For Vacation by Car:

1) You can't just jump in any time or week end and go to a state park or lake and camp.

2) When you go and visit relatives you have to stay with them or Motel/Hotel.

Pluses for Vacation by RV:

1) You never have to carry suitcases to unpack and pack each night.

2) If you have to you can spend the night in Rest Area. WalMart or Sam's Parking lot. (In your own bed)

3) You can always have the food you want with in arms reach.

Negatives for Vacation in RV

1) Extra vehicle in the family.

2) Added insurance.

3) Place to keep the RV.

Sorry for carry on so much but I wanted you to know MPG is very low in the scheme of things.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of RVing.

Herman

Its that long thing between your shoulder and hand. It keeps your hand from falling off.

In the north it may be arm but down south it can be either since the "N" and "M" are so darn close on the key board.

To this day I can't figure out how to get the spell check to work on this site.

Thank you both, Ruth Dowell would be proud both of you.

Herman