Sign in to follow this  
mable

RV Propane Tank For Grill

New (3 years with RV) and was wondering if I can connect my gas grill to the onboard propane tank. I've got a 12' hose and the RV (2002) Pace Arrow has a connector before the regulator. My Weber has a regulator. Thanks

Bob

Yes, you should be able to do so. Hopefully, the connector is easy reach. I suggust that you not leave the hose connected when you are not cooking because the connection is a full tank pressure connection. Should the hose leak or rupture, a major loss of propane could cause an explosion. I don't have one of those connections on this coach and due the fittings and tank location, I cannot add one. I use a 7 pound tank. When I have my coach tank filled, I have that tank filled, too. Only one time did I empty the 7# tank, but I carry a one pound spare that I also use with a torch for other purposes.

I have done this for years. First with a 5th wheel and now with a B+. My MH did not come with a quick disconnect, so I had one installed. You will need to remove the regulator on the grill as you will use the one on your propane tank.

My dealership threw in a quick connect from the main tank to the curb side of the RV to which I will attach a 20ft gas hose. Like derh2o mentioned, just unscrew the BBQ regulator and connect the RV hose.

I just carry a standard BBQ tank, 20 lb and hook it up.

One thing, Squirrels like to chew the hoses! Do NOT leave the gas on! and even ehn off they will chew the hose. I have wrapped mine with alumium foil, seems to stop them.

I dont have the on board propane hookup, but did look at it a couple of years ago. Seems to me that unless you are staying in one place for a while, you would waste a lot of propane connecting and disconnecting a 12 foot hose.

I prefer to use the small canisters and refill them from my main tank. Originally my generator ran off the main tank but I installed a larger tank just for the generator so I had an empty valve with liquid withdrawl. The trick to filling the tanks full is cool them in the refrigerator or freezer first, especially if the propane tank is not full. Very little waste.

You certainly can hook up a gas grill to your inline propane connector. A couple of cautions. Is the connection between the tank and the regulator, the usual place for it, then you are drawing tank or high pressure gas and connect to the regulator on your grill just as if it were a 1 pound can. The hose fittings should be such that the female connector will connect to your port. The tank end will also be female.

There may also be a second port on the inline connector with a smaller connector for a hose with a male thread. If that is the case you can connect a 20 LB grill tank (or larger) to your coach and run the coach off of that when you are someplace where it is difficult to move the coach to a fill. Be sure to turn off the coach's tank valve before opening the valve on the grill tank. I use that function often when visiting my son and family on their small farm VA in the winter. Lets me extend our stay as long as I can take the tank to refill it without moving the coach.

I had one on my 5th wheel, my Winnebago did not come with a quick connect so I installed one right after the regulator, cost only a few $$ for the parts. Very simple..As someone said, the regulator on the grille must be removed. I installed a shutoff along with a self closing quick disconnect just to be on the safe side...Any decent propane place should have the parts you need.

I just went through the gyrations of connecting my Coleman Roadtrip grill to my on board motorhome LP tank. First, if your grill has a regulator you must connect to the tank upstream of the RV regulator. It will NOT work if you route through two regulators. Install a "T" fitting between the tank and the RV regulator. Next you need a quick connect fitting. The Mr. Heater(MH) F276190, Camping World (CW) #30334. You will probably need a male to male nipple between the "T" and the quick disconnect. Next you need a hose. I used the 15' MH F271474 CW ?????. Screw the male end of the quick disconnect on one end and throwaway tank adapter MR F276140 CW 67311 on the other. Camping World sells a premade hose with a quick disconnect on one end and a throw away adapter on the other. DO NOT BUY!!! The male quick disconnect end is NOT compatible with the MH quick disconnect adapter. It is also made by Mr. Heater but will NOT work. I learned the hard way.

This setup should work for any LP appliance that has its own regulator. REMEMBER, Never connect a LP appliance that does NOT have a regulator to the high pressure side of your tank. You must have one regulator between the tank and the appliance BUT NOT TWO! Happy Grilling!.

It's really not so complicated...

We use a tee fitting labeled as "extend-a-flow".

Turn off the valve on the propane tank, unscrew the hose that goes from the tank to the regulator at the regulator.

Screw the hose onto the tee in the kit, and screw the regulator onto the tee.

Attach the hose and you're good to go.

I permanently installed the hose in the belly of the RV, going across to the curb side.
I also use a second tee, and some extra hoses. We used a weber q200 and a Coleman Roadtrip.

Recently upgraded to a Coleman nxt100 (a VERY nice portable grill btw).

These hoses have been hooked up for 4 years without any problem at all.

Most of these little grills, it is simply not possible to remove the regulator (to use low pressure gas), it is part of the burner feed.

We have done this for years as well. I had my local RV service add a high pressure outlet before the main regulator, 'cause I did not want to remove the regulator from my portable grill; it's still a portable grill that uses 1 lb. cylinders on (rare) occasions. Now, with two 12' extension hoses (from Walmart), I can operate the grill on either side of the coach, or just about anywhere in my campsite. One brand of hose is pleasantly flexible and the other is noticeably more stiff. I would prefer flexible.

I initially used the regulator that came on our Weber Q100 and hooked up to our 50 gallon tank with a 25' hose and a quick disconnect on the tank end. The Q100 regulator went "bottoms up" in a very short time. I bought a new assembly at Ace Hardware--right off the shelf--for less than $30. While there looking for fittings I set the old regulator on the floor and yellow liquid ran out the fitting. Apparently it was from our tank, even though I have never had any problems with any other propane appliance--our old grill and Coleman stove. SO, if you encounter a problem with your stock regulator it might be the yellow additive that makes propane smell so appealing to garbage flies.