LarryL

CB Usage

I have used my CB less than once per year over the last 10 years of full-timing. This has only been to find out why the traffic has come to a stop on the Interstate and it has not provided any information that could change what was going on but it did provide some info as to how long I might be stuck.

In the meantime you have to endure the extremely abusive language and prejudices spewed by truckers while hoping to glean just a bit of useful information. If I were in trouble I would either use my cell phone for curl up until some real help arrived as the CB is not likely going to be able to provide critical assistance should it be necessary.

We find the CB to be of little use, except for when we are travelling with a group. When doing this, we use Ch 17.

I do use CH 19 when in a traffic tie up on the Interstate and want to find the best lane to be in.

Sam

We use it at times mainly to find out about traffic and other road issues. We use the 18 WX ST II with SoundTracker® and NOAA Weather mainly beacause it has a front mounted speakers and makes it easier to hear that way. most of the others are bottom speakers. Unless you get the model that is all built in the mic.\

Bob

I use mine, mainly once I get out of New England. It has proved to be useful several times. We were traveling in the "car lane" one time in NJ I think, taking the car for the weekend, and they came over and told us about an accident that had that lane closed. We switched to the Truck side of the highway and missed the accident completely. Another time we were pulling our old Pop-up and ending up chatting with a guy in Ford Expedition, the traffic was building up and he lead us around all of the traffic. It can be useful, if you can stomach the rest of the BS on there.

We use our CB mostly between to RV and the Jeep, when searching for a camp site.

I've found that most of the truckers won't answer you on a CB. I believe that is because they don't use them as much as they have phones and internet now. And as a ex trucker myself most of them and I don't like the language either. But there always is the newbies who want to impress the world. And there is a lot of 4 wheelers who put the big rigs in dangerous situations. Creating a few choice words from the best of us.

PS I leave mine shut off when traveling.

Arvid

We have two CBs on a shelf in the basement and another one in the coach. The two in the basement have been laid out for three rummage sales and not sold. The one in the coach has been turned on twice in two years to the weather channel only.

FWIW, I agree that other communications/information options have made CB less useful, but when we went to the Good Sam Rally in JAX a few weeks ago, when I was in line to get sequenced for a parking spot, I gave a holler on channel 13, which used to be the "RV channel" (and maybe still is). A couple guys came back and we had a nice chat, just killing time waiting to get parked. (I also called CQ on 2-meters and had the same experience.) Cell phones, GPSs, etc., are in many ways better for what CB was used for, but they're all one-to-one means of communication, as opposed to one-to-many and many-to-one that is available through radio. The social aspect of the RVing community is something we find attractive and it's too bad that the radio-based component of that experience isn't more popular.

And a CB does prove useful from time to time in avoiding and getting routed around traffic, wrecks, road closures.

Your mileage may vary...

Skip K4EAK