Sign in to follow this  
desertdeals69

Parking Lot Damage

I was parked at a Wal Mart in Kansas when a severe wind storm suddenly came up and blew 4 shopping carts into the side of my newly painted motorhome. Caved in the generator door and some other side damage.

I got a response from Wal Mart's insurance and they said their not responsible.

Has anyone had experience with Wal Mart?

Most Wal Marts, as well as other businesses, routinely have signs in their parking lots stating that they are not responsible for theft, vandalism or

damages. We have had our Jeep hit by loose carts before and it is irritating. Maybe it is time businesses in the US starts doing what we saw in

Canada this year. You have to deposit a quarter to get a shopping cart and when you return it to the proper location, you get your quarter back. We

did not see loose carts in the parking lots!!!

I know you were upset when this happened and still have strong feelings about who is responsible. I must agree with the other post in that most business post signs that they are not responsible. I know that I personally watch very carefully where I park in any lot where shopping carts are used. I also park as far from the store as possible to minimize risk of damage from carts or other cars to my motorhome. Many times I have gone outside and moved carts which I considered to close to my motorhome. But, I have also seen people with motorhomes all most park at the store front door, which is stupid in my opinion. I use Walmart parking lots frequently for overnight stays and would hate for them to ban overnight parking.

If you want Wal-Mart to take responsibility, where do you think Wal-Mart was negligent? That's the real question as you would have to find that Wal-Mart failed to take reasonable precautions to avoid such damage. I don't think you could win that fight with or without signs to support that position. When you add the forces of nature, which are totally out of Wal-Mart's control, you add more complexity to your claim. You should have insurance that will cover the damage.

From the original posting, it doesn't sound like WM did anything wrong. A sudden and severe windstorm would not seem to be their responsibility. Also, with WM being one of the few nationwide chains that openly welcomes RVers to spend the night, we should all avoid charging them with claims which are not rock-solid.