Sign in to follow this  
HAPPYHIKER

Transmission Shifting Anomalies Allison 3000

I have a 2002 Country Coach Allure; 350ISC/3000MH with 31000 miles.

Operating conditions: In cruise control, economy mode, pac brake off, 59 miles/hr (1550 RPM's).

Yesterday while traveling through the rolling hills of Missouri.....I noticed that on some hills the usual smooth shift from 6th gear to 5th was quickly followed by a jerking motion as if it really wanted to go into 4th (it did not go there). This happened several times in my 170 mile journey. I have Silverleaf, what parameters should I monitor to gather more pertinent detail.

I took it out of Economy mode...same result.

Took it out of Cruise and did not notice the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

This very problem was very apparent when the cruise was set on my unit. It is older the yours, but with the same problem.

It turned out to be a problem with the Alternator voltage regulator(s). They put out a noise signature on the 12 volt wiring.

Good test-- take a drive and see if the cruise control works when engaged. If it works fine, drive for a period of time. Disengage the cruise and then reengage it. Do you notice the same issue with the transmission?

Note, at times it takes over an hr. for the problem to reappear.

I run silveleaf and now monitor the 12 volts to see if the voltage remains stable, if it starts to vary and the little green indicator in the voltage window changes from green to yellow or to red, suspect the alternator.

I would also have an issue with the speedometer jumping or varying and the tachometer reading would remain the same. Speed reading would change from 60 to 70+ or down to 50 or less.

Just my observations. Rich.

You could look in the photo gallery and look at my pictures and text regarding alternator and ignition issues.

Also, pull out your Allison book or look up Allison diagnostic codes and, using the Allison shift pad with igition on, engine off, check for diagnostic codes. That will tell you if the transmission has sensed a problem.

Thanks for the insight......sometime in the next few days.....I will have the opportunity to pursue your inputs.

Update.....try bad fuel....the jerks and glitches became more frequent and under varying conditions. At about 1/4 tank of fuel I gassed up and almost immediately there was a change. After about 100 miles the problem was gone altogether. I am about to change the filters.