Larry196

Saw Lots of FMCA Plaques In Elma WA.

I just did a short walk around the Travel Inn RV Park in Elma, WA, saw lots of FMCA Plaques.

Lets get together at the club house and have coffee or sometrhing.

I'm in space 56 by the club house, Let me know your here too.

Larry

A large number of people belong to FMCA. A very small number of these members are also members of this forum. You might want to print a note and see if there is a public bulletin board where you could post it there at the campground.

I still have the original plates XXX,513

I still use my parents original # as well F-3508-s. The plates have always been referred to as "Goose Eggs" since the early days of FMCA. I love finding them when I take my evening walk in RV parks and campgrounds. Alot more motorhomes out there without them on, than with.

In those years we made our own motor homes out of Flxible Buses. We had two and we had the same business mailing address so we shared the membership. I have my fathers 1941 Flxible with the late 40s Onan and Allison Mt30 6-speed.

I also display both sets of plates and carry the last published 2007 FMCA directory and have it tabbed by year and alphabetical membership for quick reference at my desk or on the road.

In days gone by we proudly displayed our "family" plates but today many "family's" are retired couples that may choose to not drill a hole in the fancy paint.

I think that most mount them on the rear ladder, and ladder mounts are listed in Family Motor Coaching in the Kiley Mold ad. Those in front are usually mounted where a front license plate would be. If you can not put it there, there are suction cups available at the on line FMCA store that would allow them to be mounted inside on the windshield where it would not obstruct the drivers view. I made a support from one inch aluminum from a big box store for my front plate, area low brow and officer top brow. The aluminum is easy to drill and bend into any shape needed to clear the contours of of the cap on the front of the coach. So you can see thatt there isn't any preferred way to display, but I am very happy that you want to display the Membership Plate or "Goose Egg".

In those years we made our own motor homes out of Flxible Buses. We had two and we had the same business mailing address so we shared the membership. I have my fathers 1941 Flxible with the late 40s Onan and Allison Mt30 6-speed..

Yep, alot were Flx's, but not all. Some were GMC's, Marmon Harringtons and many others were converted school buses. That's why the Code of Ethics had to have rules about covering the lights and changing the paint. FMCA didn't want to have any "undesirables" e.g. "Hippies" joining!

My parents motor home was a 1957 Fitzjohn Roadrunner. Rumor was, much of the interior work was done by Custom Coach. That bus is still around today owned by someone who is re-doing the interior and parks it in a cave when not in use.

And DESERTDEAL, yes, the "real" plates were made out of aluminum. I wish I still had my dad's

Larry, you are right, lets get back to your question. When you are in a RV Park and see someone displaying their FMCA Plaque/Goose Egg. Stop and visit. Invite them to your coach for Happy Hour or as some call it "Meet and Greet" time. You could drop a note by the office or leave a note on their coach. I have never met a FMCA member that wasn't proud to be a member. Some are members of Chapters others haven't found one to join yet. This way you can make new friends and no one has too many friends.

Good luck, now go out and shake some hands a meet some nice folks.

Herman

Larry, I'm sorry I steered the conversation off course. I just had never heard the goose egg refered to as a plaque! Herman has the right idea.

-aztecfan- Yep, alot were Flx's, but not all. Some were GMC's, Marmon Harringtons and many others were converted school buses. That's why the Code of Ethics had to have rules about covering the lights and changing the paint. FMCA didn't want to have any "undesirables" e.g. "Hippies" joining!

- Dwight- [ I have to add a story here. I married in September 1971 and drove our 1947 Flxible to honeymoon in the Canadian Rocky's and was given the "Peace Sign" by a group of "Hippies" in a VW Bus as they were heading south out of the Banff summer "Hippie" area. Our converted Flxible looked like the buses used in the WW ll era movies. Note: After that experience the exterior was given a complete renovation.

-astec7fan- My parents motor home was a 1957 Fitzjohn Roadrunner. Rumor was, much of the interior work was done by Custom Coach. That bus is still around today owned by someone who is re-doing the interior and parks it in a cave when not in use.

-Dwight- [ Kirwan Elmers owner of Custom Coach in Columbus, Ohio was a leader in partial & complete coach renovation into motor homes. John Morris owner of Morse controls made the the shift controls and the long Red Jacket cables needed when we converted our coaches to Allison 6-speed automatic transmissions. ] That was almost 50 years ago, I hope I remembered the names correctly. Dwight

Hi Larry,

Still looking forward to the next meet and greet. We have stayed there several times and, yes, there are a number of members there. Last time we were there, there was what looked to be a permanent, I think, Prevost with the lowest number I've ever seen. It was parked on the main road past the restrooms on the south side.

It seems to be a really nice well kept place and we have always enjoyed staying there. The only bad time was when my mom died and it was the middle of January and we got there late and didn't hookup everything till the next morning. When I went to hook up the water, I slipped in a pile of dog poop and saw a bunch of it all around the service post. I said something about it when I registered and later that afternoon, I noticed that my neighbor was gone.They had asked them to leave because they weren't picking up after their dog.

Well now we have moved to Neskowin, OR and see darned few FMCA Plates (Goose Eggs).

I approched one rig showing the sign and was greeted with a couple of snarling big dogs and the old grouch inside was rude and said the plate did not belong to him but was on the coach when he bought it 5 years ago, just never got around to taking the darned thing off, said I was the first to ask.

Did not find any others.

Oh Well, Happy New Years

Larry

Almost hate to bring this up again but seeing as how the op got a few replies on topic and it's an old, old thread, and I've not ever seen or heard this before either,...

How / why in the world would anyone have started calling a members plate a "goose egg" ?

I guess if you look at the emblem it certainly is egg shaped. It's bigger than a chicken egg, but it is closer to the size of an ostrich egg than a goose egg but I suspect, like so many other things, the first nickname simply stuck. It make no sense, but that has nothing to do with how nickname appear and how they stick.

My wife's nicknames growing up were JoJo and Piccolo (one when she was being good and one when she was not). No one seems to know why or where these names came from, but they were "her" reality no matter what.