mikeby

Can't Get Chassis Power

I had a 1997 24' Winabago Mini, and the 110v power cord had to be plugged into the chassis plug located the the cord compartment to get battery or generator power to the chassis.

Now I have just purchased a 1997 Coachman Mirada and the 110v power cord has no place to plug into the chassis, or at least i can't find a place. So i can't get power to the chassis unless I plug the power cord into the house power. Must be something simple but i cant figure it out??

I believe you should already have a cord with one end permanently connected to your motor home and the other end has the special 30 amp plug to be connected at a camp ground.

RV stores or Walmart have the adapter to plug onto that end so that you can plug it into a standard 15 amp 120 volt outlet on the outside of a house or garage.

The generator is probably already permanently wired into the motor home.

Mike,

First, welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I think a little clarification is needed.

In your old coach, the decision as to whether power your 120 VAC system from generator or shore power was made manually, by your physically plugging in generator output OR shore power cord to the cord powering your 120 VAC breaker box.

Sounds like your new coach has an ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) to automatically perform that function. So, it that is the case, all you need to do is plug the shore power cord into the CG outlet if your shore power cord is hard wired to the coach OR additionally, plug the shore power cord into the receptical on the coach.

There are 3 ways for the coach to get 120 volts. Plug in the shore cord to a receptacle, it has an automatic line transfer switch, or there is a manual transfer switch. You should have one of the three.

Can I use a battery minder to keep my chassis batteries charged? My coach batteries stays charged when plugged to shore power but my chassis batteries do not stay charged.

Can I use a battery minder to keep my chassis batteries charged? My coach batteries stays charged when plugged to shore power but my chassis batteries do not stay charged.

If you are talking about while in storage, YES. Verify that your coach does not charge both battery banks when on 120 VAC-- yes, many do NOT.

What keeps chassis batteries charged not in storage? It sits in the driveway for two weeks and turns over slowly.

Many coaches only charge the chassis battery from the alternator (engine running).

Were I storing a coach long-term without 120 VAC power, I would sure consider a solar panel to keep the battery(ies) charged.

I have used a BatteryMinder on my coach for ten years. The engine battery will be discharged in about three weeks if the engine isn't run.