Sign in to follow this  
Rogheller

Sick Norcold Fridge

Fridge worked fine for past three weeks....got home and it started to warm up. Freezer at about 14 degrees but the refrigerator went to about 60 at the lowest setting.

Spoke with a local RV shop which speculated that it was dying. ....possibly a "blockage".

Suggested removing it, turning it upside down for 24 hours to possibly clear it. There is no evidence of any ammonia leakage and the area behind the unit appears unobstructed. This is an antique, not much used 1996 Norcold model 883. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Thanx

I think it is well recognized in the industry that turning the refrigerator upside down for 24 hours is NOT a long-term solution.

You are likely faced with the "replace with new" or "new cooling unit" decision. Would certainly NOT pay labor to do the inversion "test".

Being old, retired and marginally impaired, I took the Norcold out and set it upside down for 48 hours. (All inside the rig). When reinstalled it performed slightly better. Will probably end up buying a new fridge but am curious about 'reman' cooling units. Anyone have experience with one? Are they difficult to install? What's the down side?

Thanks!

If you are reasonably handy, and can follow directions, installing a new cooling unit is not that complex.

Several of the cooling unit manufacturers/remanufacturers have installation instructions on their websites. You would probably be the best judge of whether this is something you want to tackle.

Of course, the other question is what is the condition of the rest of the refrigerator. Hate to see you put in a new cooling unit, then be faced with a new PC board, gas valve and burner.

Some years ago I had the factory in Elkhart replace a cooling unit under warranty. It failed so they did it again, It also failed and I lost my cool. After 3 failed units and 2 weeks in Elkhart I had a discussion with the company and talked them into installing a complete new unit on their dime. What really upset me is as the new one was being installed one of the workers told me that they never had sucess in replacing a cooling unit and this is the factory talking. It was a RM100. To this day I don't recommend a cooling unit be replaced. In our shop we refused to do replacements and just sell new units. Much more satisfied customers.

I have read on various forums that the after market cooling units perform much better than the OEM version. However, any gas refrigerator requires that it be level when you are parked or you will damage the cooling unit. It my understanding this damage is cumulative and will occur over time. The damage can not be reversed, so the only answer is a new cooling unit or new refrigerator.

My thanks to those who have offered their input. Have read up on the several sites offering 'reman' cooling units and think I'll play mechanic/technician and replace just the cooling unit. After reading the websites of 4 or 5 companies my plan is to go with World Class RV Fridge. Will ponder over the weekend and commit next week. Comments still welcome

Roger (XCAPER)