jtwarringii

Credit Card Hijacking

We recently traveled to South Carolina during the month of Sept. On our way we stop at the Flying J in North Carolina to fuel up. My Flying J card had expired so I had to go into the store to get it renewed. While doing so the clerk at the fueling cash register ask for the credit card I was going to use to update my new Flying J discount card. To my surprise on my next stop my credit card was shut down by PNC bank because someone from the Flying J in NC tried to get a 500 dollar gift card.

I am sending this to warn all of the FMCA members not to stop at the Flying J in NC. It the one that has a Dennys and is about 10 miles north of that JR's outlet mall.

Thanks

James T, Warring II

Guest Christopher6

Hello Jmes T,

Nice to meet you, There has to be a number to call. Check the back of the card, and check Walmart's website. Also, place a fraud watch with the three credit reporting agencies.

Thanks and Regards,

I have had my card travel several times with out me, Mexico City $3,200.00 California $2,800.00. Since my card had its vacation I have put an alert on it. Now when we go out to eat and the charge exceeds $100.00 my phone will cherp with in 5 minutes to alert me of a charge.

What I learned from my experience is to all ways carry two different cards. If your card is compromised the CC company will put a stop on the card and you will need a back up.

One more thing, like the problem James had at that Flying J in South Carolina, both times my card took a vacation I could trace it back that I had used my card at the same Mexican Restaurant just days before. Coincident, maybe, but I haven't been to that restaurant since and I did advise the Dallas Police Department.

And do you know that on both of my cards vacations, NOT ONE CARD or NOTE.

Herman

Ah! Who to blame. Was it the cashier, a clerk nearby, a passerby. To many variables. I hate to say this, but women are the most apt to lay their card down with the numbers showing. Any passerby can steal the numbers. There is now a big problem with the cards that have the RFID (Radio Frequency Identifiation) chip embedded. A proximity scanner can capture the informaiton off the card by just getting close to your wallet. They make foil sleeves to eliminate thist type of thread, or you can do what I do. Take a hammer, put the card on a hard surface and smash the chip. The card will still slide and scan through a reader but the RFID will be inoperable.

Herman, send me your card for a few months of vacation time. I'll make sure you get a "card" back.

My wife and I had a nice dinner in the city, (SF) this past week and when we got home there was a message on our answering machine from the credit card company that there was suspicious activity on our card. There didn't seem to be any charges that I didn't approve of, but they canceled the card and the next day I had a new one delivered by UPS. They could only say that someone called from a known fraudulent phone number. Interestingly enough the restaurant that we went to didn't include the tip I left them on the charge, but only the amount of the meal. Maybe they were too nervous or in a hurry. Interesting!

Jack & Kay,

I'm sure the company was suspicious since it was not run through the complete process. Your charge is still open when you sign it and leave the tip. Then it must be closed with or with out the tip. If it was not closed and run through I can understand your card company doing as they did. They were only looking out for your interest. Good for them.

Herman