Sign in to follow this  
therocky

Tiny Fruit Fly (like) Bugs In Black Water Tank!

Is it possible to pick up flies from a campsite plumbing system? I flush regularly, using a non-formaldahyde treatment. We noticed them after returning from a trip at another campsite. Thinking of squirting a couple of blasts of insect fogger down the toilet, but not sure if that's bad for the plastics.

Any ideas?

Yes, if you leave the dump valve open and hose connected to the sewer, insects CAN get into the holding tanks.

I would not use a petroleum-based insect spray around the rubber and plastic.

Guess I would flush the tanks very well with water and drain. Add a couple of gallons of water. Add half a cup of bleach and let sit 30 minutes. Flush with water. Yes, chlorine can also be bad for rubber and plastic, but you are only leaving it in there long enough for the chlorine gas to kill the insects, then flushing it out.

BTW, it is not a good idea to leave the black tank valve open all the time. Better to leave it closed until tank is at least 1/2 full and then dump.

The reason you do not want to leave the black tank valve open is that the liquid drains out and leaves the solids to pile up. You will have to then fill with water and let it soak for a while to soften it before you can do a complete dump.

Hey, thanks guys, for the info on the tank...good advice. I do close the valve when sitting,BUT; I think I figured my problem...when securing from a trip last, I rinsed the tank and hose, then promptly forgot to add water to the tank!---no wonder I had flies!--have since cleaned and rinsed...motto-don't forget the fluid!

Thank you again...a mind's a terrible thing to waste!