Sign in to follow this  
gdroke

'08 Safari Simba--Small Plastic Door Covering Outside Radio & Speakers

Driving east through Arkansas yesterday, I battled very strong winds from the cold front moving through the south. I stopped for fuel somewhere out side of Memphis to discover the wind had made an unplanned modification to my 2008 Safari Simba 30SFS. The small, plastic door covering the outside radio and speakers was gone.

It was just a small plastic door that I am guessing (and hoping) is part of a pre-fab unit a manufacturer buys and is a standard size that is available as a replacement part. The hinge was simple "molded fingers" on the bottom that snapped around a small rod attached to the unit still in the wall of the motorhome, and it had a keyed lock-cylinder near the top. The plastic door was the same color as the paint on my motorhome, but I would be happy with any color at this point, since the opening is currently covered with duct tape, to keep the rain out.

This is my first motorhome, and my first experience with a replacement part, and Safari is no longer in business, so I am hoping someone has an idea where a replacement door could be found.

Here is a picture of it.

The door is open, but you get an idea of what the whole unit looks like.

Anybody recognize it as a "standard-type" unit used by any other manufacturers?

post-20471-0-82091300-1351389075_thumb.j

I could not find any markings of any kind on the face of it. There might be some thing on the back side, but I really do not want to take it out and break the factory seal. I guess I will, if I run out of options. I tried looking on the internet for the part, but my search is too vague to produce anything helpful.

Even though Monaco no longer makes anything under the Safari name, the Safari Simba and the Monaco Monarch were the same coaches during those years so I am going to call Monaco on Monday. I am hoping they used this same exterior entertainment unit on the Monarch, but I really have no idea at this point. I tried to find a picture of a Monarch with this option on the internet, but was unsuccessful.

I found the following link to an RV outside entertainment center that appears to be like the one on our former coach. This was a 2004 HR Endeavor and I expect the same one was used on the Simba units. Perhaps this will give you a place to start looking for a replacement door for yours.

http://www.b2loud.com/items/item201.htm

Another place I would try for information would be any local RV body repair shop with a good reputation with insurance companies.

Thanks NavyDad89, that is very close to what I have. I checked that website and they have two different Audiovox units that are within a half inch of mine. I also looked at Jensen and they also make a very similar unit, but it is an inch too small to fit the cutout.

Additionally, I had not thought of contacting an RV body shop, but I guess they deal with this kind of problem all the time. That is a very good idea and I really appreciate your input.

A quick update.

I called the Navistar Platinum Authorized Service Center in Florida and spoke to someone in parts. I was informed that they would have to look it up, and they would call me back that afternoon. When I did not receive a return call, I called the next day and gave them the same information and waited again. I never received a return call the second time, either. I suppose the "Platinum" part of the name simply means it is hard to get any help from them at all.

I called the Navistar service center in Indiana and was told that the door was not available from Navistar, but he took my coach information and said he would call the vendor to see if they still offered it, and then call me back and let me know. He did exactly as he said and called me back to tell me the vendor did not sell the door by itself, but the entire unit (box, speakers, wiring, and door) could be purchased for $196. Expensive, but my only option at this point so I ordered it.

It arrived quickly and was exactly what I needed. It was white, but I was able to find a color of spray paint at Ace hardware that matches my coach almost exactly. I put two coats of paint on it, wet sanded it, and then polished it with polishing compound and it now is on the coach and looks like a factory paint job. I just have to figure out a way to make sure I don't lose this one because it is exactly like the one that came on the coach, and the hinge design is a bit weak.