Sign in to follow this  
RobertGulliver

Front Windows Squeaking on 1999 Fleetwood Southwind

We have a 1999 Fleetwood Southwind. Front windows replaced 3/20/2012. Drove from FL to MI. About halfway home, the windows started squeaking. When turning corners it stopped, only to restart after the turn. We just retuned from trip to Southern Illinois. Had the squeaking both ways. Any Idea what it might be?

Hi Robert,

I had a 99 Southwind too! When leveling the coach (when I first got it) I actually cracked the passenger side windshield. Why? The forward leveling jacks are in front of the front axle and when most of the weight is on one side it really flexes the chassis. In 2000 they moved to them to the rear of the axle. By the way, prior to this, water leaked inside from the top when driving in the rain. Got a new windshield and had the other side reseated with all new rubber. I was very careful to not over do it when leveling. I'd move to another spot if it was not level to begin with. Never had another problem.

I am pretty sure this could be the root cause of the problem.

Happy Trails

John

Hmmm. This is interesting. We just acquired a '99 Southwind in August and have been out several times. Jacks never have worked (we knew this when we bought it) so we've been fortunate enough to have had pretty-much-level spots to camp in. We've since had the jack problem diagnosed as a failed controller, and local dealer will be installing a new one when we go in for winterizing this week. I'll be sure to be careful in using them once they're working...

Robert,

If you can determine with some degree of accuracy, where the squeak is--Try spreading the gasket away from the glass enough to spray in some greaseless Teflon spray. Both inside and outside. You don't need a lot, just enough to stop the squeak.

And, if the squeak is between the window frame and the sidewall of the coach, please tell us whether it is bedded in butyl tape. If so, and there butyl oozing all the way around the perimeter, you may be able to just tighten up on the screws a little that secure the inner to outer frame.

When a window is installed the butyl tape is almost all squeezed out. The frame that touches the side wall is curved and has a very narrow contact surface. Usually we just take the window out and replace the butyl tape. A relatively easy job.

Robert,

Welcome to the forum.

I need more info. Is the squeak coming from the glass rubbing in the channels or from the window frame rubbing in the cut out in the side of the coach?

Try what Nighthawk posted first. Then try going outside and tightening the screws around the window. You don't need to get crazy with the torque I would say 35 inch pounds should be the max.

Let us know what you find and if it fixes the problem. Actually I would do both then take it for a ride.

Bill

Thats the problem with long range diagnostics. Whether the screws are on the inside or outside snug them down per my earlier post and don't over torque them.

Thats the problem with long range diagnostics. Whether the screws are on the inside or outside snug them down per my earlier post and don't over torque them.

Usually the inside frame is tight against the outside frame, thats why retorque the screws doesn't really tighten the frame. Thats why we always pull the window and replace the butyl tape. The reason the screws usually don't loosen is because they are self tapping and go into a slot in the extrusion and not in a hole.