Sign in to follow this  
BettyH42

Stranded In PA Truck Stop (Sandy) Jacks Down Or UP

We are stranded in a truck stop near York, PA and waiting out the storm 'Sandy'. New experience for us and are wondering which would be better for dealing with the wind gusts. Put the Jacks down or leave them up. They are predicting winds approaching 70 mph at times.

Betty, I have been in winds that strong and parked in rest areas. I did not put the jacks down, just left the air bags up. Did not lower the coach.

You will be in high winds for a longer period of time though, you might need to move for some reason and not needing to air up the system would save some time.

Personally, if I was in the situation. I would have the back of the coach facing the wind. Less area to be directly hit by flying objects and less surface area to rock the coach. I would try to keep the front from being exposed to the wind the best I could.

If you are parked between large loaded 18 wheelers, they offer some protection from anything flying around.

Glad you are off the road to ride this one out.

Rich.

Hi Betty, my wife Sue and I were caught in a snow storm in Rawlins Wyoming a few years ago. The wind was gusting to 80mph. We arrived just before interstate 80 was shut down. I had a full tank of water, we just hooked up power kept the slides in and waited it out, the motorhome was rocking pretty good at times but no damage to the motorhome when it was done. Good luck. smokeater75. We did not use our jacks either just the air suspension.

We live in the hurricane prone Gulf Coast. We evacuate for all hurricanes. Consider that there are 4 points normally on the ground at all times, The front and rear wheels. Putting the jacks down for stability give you 4 more points. I personally would rather have 8 points of stability then just four. We also bring the slides in when the wind gets to 45 mph or more. Why, protects the toppers.

As stated, probably better to have the rear facing the major force of the wind. However, be aware that when hurricane/storms pass that have high winds, the wind reverses sometime during the storms travel, depending on the trave of the storm. A North/South storm will start out with winds coming from an Easterly direction, but as it passes the circular motion will have the winds coming from a Westerly direction

So how did you do?.