mlaser59

Best Brand Tire Covers

I am looking for some high quality tire guards to protect the 42" tires for strong UV exposure and an easy system to put the guards on the tires.

Campingworld is selling the Adco brand, is this a good heavy duty brand?

Other recommendations welcome.

Thanks.

Mlaser59,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I have the Adco tire covers from Camping World. Quality is just fine. Anytime our coach is more than an overnight, it has the covers on it.

Strongly recommend white-- it keeps the tires cooler than black.

Mine are very similar to the Snap Ring, just do not have the inner steel-ring. Got them in Walmart. Easy on/off, no tying in place, etc. They fit so snug on the tire, that's all that is needed to keep them in place. As mentioned, go with WHITE, keeps them cooler, as Tireman actually tested this with a heat sensor.

I like Snap Ring TireSavers, easy on and off. Also they don't need to be tied on.

X-2. Very well made. Really like these. They are easy to install and remove. But you have to leave them in the shape of the ring as they will not fold up. But that is okay with me cause I don't have to get down on my knees to install them!!!

Mlaser59,

I have the Adco tire covers from Camping World. Quality is just fine. Anytime our coach is more than an overnight, it has the covers on it.

Same here, except I had white...D/W said they did not match the coach...now I have black. At least they keep the sun off the tires.

Mlaser59,

Years ago I had Firestick cb antennas which had white shrink tubing on the outside. After a few months it cracked and started peeling. I took them back to the manufacturer in Phoenix and they replaced them with ones that were black. They said that black blocks out the uv much better than white. The black ones lasted for years. Is the same true about the color in tire covers?

Years ago I had Firestick cb antennas which had white shrink tubing on the outside. After a few months it cracked and started peeling. I took them back to the manufacturer in Phoenix and they replaced them with ones that were black. They said that black blocks out the uv much better than white. The black ones lasted for years. Is the same true about the color in tire covers?

While it is true that black in many materials is more resistant to UV damage, the heavy vinyl used in tire covers will last for many years in either black or white.

And, since high temperatures have a negative affect on tires, white is preferred, as it is quite a lot cooler when exposed to the sun than black.

Thanks Brett, our daytime temps in the summer reach 120 and sometimes cool down only to 105 at night. My outside cement in the summer is in the 170s. I wonder how much cooler white covers would keep the tires.

HERE are the numbers on the temperature reduction you can see with white covers. If you have an IR gun you can do your own test.

I tried to simulate dark covers HERE. Some complain that since I didn't go out and buy a set of dark covers, my simulation was of no value. I would be interested to see results from someone who has black covers.

RE the life of black plastic vs white, I would guess that it really depends on the polymer used as to the UV resistance.

How many of us have ever heard anyone advocate black rubber roof on our RVs?

Living in the desert I am well aware of temp differences between light and dark materials. I guess the question is what is worse, higher temp or more uv. Most pickup sprayed in bed coatings are black or some other dark coating.

Both white and black tire covers keep 100% of the UV light off the tires.

The only difference MIGHT be in how the covers themselves resist degradation by UV light. I have no information on that, but as Tireman pointed out, it probably has more to do with the polymer used than with the color.

Anyone reading my Blog knows I like data and prefer it over a simple opinion. The topic of tire covers has come up here and on a couple other forums. I did a simple temperature test and posted the results using the white covers I have. Some others think that black might be a better choice as they believe the carbon black in black vinyl gives better UV protection.

I also have seen some covers that appear to be more of a screen material. Looks good at matching the color scheme of the RV but I'm not sure how well those covers are protecting the tires.

I have decided to "up the ante" on this question and collect more hard data. Just received a UV meter and am designing a fixture to hold special UVC light bulb so I have a good light source of the most damaging type of UV light. Next I need a variety of materials used for tire covers.

I don't have any sponsorship for this effort so can't go out and buy a few sets of tire covers. The UV meter and special light will run me $50 to $75.

If anyone has an old or damaged cover and want to help the effort I could use a 6" square of the material to use in the test fixture.

Send me a message so I can provide my mailing address if you want to support this study.