wildebill308

I Want To Add An “Extend A Stay” Adapter To My Propane System.

I want to add a “extend a stay” adapter to my propane system. Has any one added one and where did you tap in to the system.

I am thinking I want it on the right side so I can use it to also power my outside gas grill. What about going in the refrigerator access panel?

Bill

The instructions that came with my adapter had me put it just before the regulator on the coaches propane tank. ( the high pressure side) That placed it on the drivers side of my coach.

I have had mine in use on two coaches. It is on the high pressure side between the tank and the regulator. This enables the coach regulator to provide appropriate pressure to the coach. Also, if you get the three way, you can deliver high pressure propane to your grill before its regulator. When I use my extend-a-stay, I connect the hose between the adapter and the tank and then turn off the coach tank valve BEFORE opening the external tank valve. This prevents external tank from pushing propane into the coach tank instead of into the system if there is higher pressure in the external tank.

I want do do something similar, i.e., add an extend-a-stay. However the way my coach is setup I have been told it would not fit. The coach propane tank sit perpendicular to the frame just aft of the driver's side front tire. It is very crowded in there. I know that the coach system supplies propane (vapor) to the stove, hot water, refrig, and heater, and (liquid) on a separate line to the generator. What I would like to do is get a large external propane with a regulator and then tap into, i.e., Feed into the vapor line bypassing the on-board system. I'm pretty sure that I would have to first turn off the existing coach tank vapor valve, and then turn on this new source at the external tank.

Is this feasible and safe????

If you are asking if a qualified propane tech could shut off and cap your on-board vapor port and route the line from the vapor port to an external bottle (likely with an extension) the answer is YES.

Have you not been able to find a propane company who will fill your on-board tank?

I had an 'extend a stay' type hook up added to my coach by a propane shop. We tapped into the low pressure side (after the coach regulator) with a custom 15ft hose that has its own regulator. The problem that I see with this (postoperatively) is that we have apparently bypassed the shut off solenoid from the propane sniffer in the coach. May have to look into that. :blink:

I have attached the extend a stay system to my coach (Newmar Diesel Pusher) and connected to a 30 lb bottle, however my furnace will not operate? Am I doing something wrong?

Furnaces are very touchy to the amount of gas pressure it is receiving. Do your other gas appliances work? If yes, you might check the connections from the gas bottle to the extend a stay and make sure no thread tape or "pipe dope" is blocking the opening a little which could cause a partial clog and decrease the pressure enough to cause a problem with the furnace.

Next thing is I would make sure you turn the 30 lb tank on very slowly, turning it on fast with a 5' or longer hose between it and the regulator may cause the OPD valve inside the tank to think there is a leak and shut off the flow.

Pretty much all I can think of right now, hopefully others will chime in with some more ideas.

Phil