Sign in to follow this  
kyoldguy

Tire Replacement

Hi,

Just purchased a 1996 Coachman Catalina class A motorhome.

Tires on it are 235/80 16.

Coachman rep at headquarters advised 235/85 16. My question to all is "what is a good brand of tire to purchase." Been looking at Goodyear, Michelin, Hankook, Toyo, Sumitomo, BF Goodrich, etc.

What does anyone recommend, as far as brand & series numbers? I need to purchase 2 tires right now in order to move this rig since 2 rear on right side are blown. What sidewall ply rating does anybody run? Could I go with a wider tire, and would that be more stable? Obviously, I am really a newby on this, so any opinions are appreciated.

Just keep in mind that all four tires on the rear axle should be the same size and same mfgr. Different mfgr with the same number size tend to vary in actual size. Use the size the coach builder recommends.

One thing to consider is that tire manufacturers recommend that tires be replaced around 7 years of age. If they replaced the original 1996 tires around 2003-2004, that means the tires now are 8-10 years old and all should be replaced.

As far as manufacturer, many people swear by Michelins because they ride "softer" and their RV specific tires are designed to last longer, but they are pricier than other brands.

I went to a tire manufacturer's site and as aztec7fan stated,the best life shown is the 5 to 7 years. I purchased a 2003 Zanzibar in October this year with Goodyear tires. The DOT label stated 4302 which means the tires were manufactured the 43rd. week of 2002. They look great with pleanty of tread on them and no visual sidewall issues. I want to say they are OK but 13 years? So I too am trying to determine just what to do. My gut feeling is WOW, 13 years, replace them now. Any suggestions out there from some of you who have been RV'ing for a while?

My gut feeling is WOW, 13 years, replace them now. Any suggestions out there from some of you who have been RV'ing for a while?

Your "gut feeling" is CORRECT!

Your tires were built at the end of '02 and it's now the end of '12 so the tires are right at 10 years old. You are likely now on the hairy edge of safety. If you like living on the edge just keep driving, you will be just fine right up until the day you are not! You will not know when that is or know that it's coming, but it is coming, especially since you bought this coach used and you have no way of knowing how the coach used previously.

If you prefer to drive around safely I would recommend that you replace the tires as soon as possible.

Did the same thing during a pass through Jacksonville in Nov. We used Callaghan Tire right off I-295 using exit 22. This company deals only in large truck tires so their entire setup is geared for efficient turn-around. They are professional and courteous. Considering the savings from the Michelin Advantage Program and the efficient turn-around of Callaghan Tire, we were quite convinced that we had made the right choice.

kyoldguy:

Replace now. If you think the tires are expensive. let one explode and you most likely could have bought 2 sets for what it will cost to fix the collateral damage. It's nothing you want to take a chance on havng happen.

Unless it has changed in the last 6 months, 16" tires are not included in the FMCA Michelin program. I had the same size tires as you have that I replaced twice at Costco at a very good price. While they no longer install motorhome tires, you can order them and have them installed at an independent dealer. And yes, I would have them balanced.

JMHO

My Motor home is a 08 Fleetwood Expedition 38F DP. I plan on replacing the tires soon with Michelins 275/70/22.5 should I have the rear tires balanced? some dealers say yes and some say no, any suggestions... I plan on buying them through the Michelin Advantage Program.

Thank you for any advise...

KYOLDGUY

If you aren't sure how to read the tire age thing HERE is a post with pictures. The posts above on replacing at 5-7 or 8-10 are correct with 10 being the absolute max for motorhome application. Don't be mislead by simply looking at the tread as it is the internal structure you need to concerned with and none of us have X-Ray vision.

RE "Best Tire" Ask 5 people and you will probably get 5 different answers. I do offer some advice on how you can evaluate a variety of brands and how to find the one that best fits your needs. Sorry I can't give you a specific name as I don't know all your requirements.

Hope this helps