MrsHomeSweetRoam

So, Yea, We're New. To What? Here And RVing [SoCal]

Hey all...just wanted to introduce myself before I jumped into any other conversations here:

As I said, new to this forum (but not forums in general) and new to RVing (although spent a good amount of time in them in childhood). About a week ago, my husband and I took possession of an RV we purchased during the Pomona RV Show here in SoCal. We've had it about a week- within our first week, we've boondocked in the streets of LA (outside our apartment and near my husbands place of employment) and we've boondocked on my aunt's property in the Inland Empire...and finally we've spent a night or two experiencing full hook-ups at both a nice RV park and a more camp-like site.

First- WE ARE LOVING EVERY SECOND OF IT- even the hiccups, educational mishaps and the expected and not so expected "shakedown" discoveries of our rig during this week of orientation.

We're in the midst of selling off our remaining possessions and trying to find and move our last fledgling to his [first] own/new place. We wish this part was as easy as our transition to the RV lifestyle.

We have til the end of the month and then we're no longer tethered to a "stick and brick" home (Los Angeles based apartment, in our case) ...but we are still chained to my husbands office/job. Our plan is to float around the LA, Orange and Inland Empire counties while he's working- and then take long weekends ...or make our weekends much more exciting than they've been. And when duty calls us out of state- we'll have our contents/home with us (previously we've traveled in our Honda Element). We'll bounce from family homes/lands to boondocking on various streets to staying in campsites and official RV parks- depending on our whim and mood and finances.

In the future, we plan on taking contract jobs all over the US and using that as a way to travel and see new places---moving along when we don't like a place and finding further work in the area if we decide to stay longer.

In the meantime, we'll take all the savings from our initial lifestyle change to boost our "fuel fund" and have it on stand by for future fun trips.

And amongst all of this we'll be learning, learning and learning.

We learned about FMCA from some great guys at the Pomona RV Show and this weekend we bought our membership....now to find a group that fits us...the hard part?! We're on the younger side and I suspect our life/lifestyle will make for a challenge to find more like us; but we're looking forward to making new friends and motoring-mentors!

I have much reading to do here!

Oh, we have a blog-- my husband will surely join me here on the forums at some point, but for now he rambles on his blog and I supply him images. ;)

We look forward to FMCA enthusiasm and influence! This little baby of ours is about ten years of dreaming that has finally become a reality. EEEeeek!

Welcome to FMCA !!!

One thing to remember is there a many members that are Young at Heart. The kids are on there own, so entertaining them is not on top of the list.

Must mention, our kids try or like to join in when we plan a trip at times and bring there little ones. You know that makes there grandmother happy !!! She can spoil them.

Took us over a year to find a chapter we liked, visited different Chapters. We now have a local chapter and belong to an international chapter.

One for Rallies in our local area and one to enjoy while on the road.

You will find many members that belong to more then one chapter.

Enjoy the ride and the views !!!

Rich.

Thanks for taking a moment to reply, Rich. We're new grandparents as well and are looking forward to sharing some adventures with the little one (she's 7 months in a few days)- can't wait til she's a bit bigger to really "share" in the experiences with her. We got a bunkhouse unit so that we can use it for guests and for holding extra "stuff" like jackets and laptop bags and dog leashes... it's a good catch all area -but it'll be there for those times when the grand baby can join us. I didn't understand that the "international" groups weren't actually international.... so I will have to sift through that list now.

Have a great day!

Quick question for anyone that is lurking and would like to answer: Once I find a group/Chapter that I want info on- I click the "request info" button- then what? When and how do I get the info sent to me? Haven't seen any results as of yet. Thanks!!!

Hi welcome! We are full timers too here in SoCal! Hubby works full time when he's off work we go! Live currently in the AV! We haven't joined a local chapter. Couldn't decide on which one... So just having fun hanging out here! Have fun downsizing, we did this 8 years ago went back to brick n stick, now back to full time! Loving it! You have inspired me to get our blog going!

MrsHomeSweetRoam,

To find a chapter, you can click on the Chapters/Areas tab from the FMCA.com home page. Scroll down to "chapter search". You can search by key words or by choosing a state. (California is in FMCA's Western Area.) The International Area has chapters all over the US and Canada, and are mostly special-interest-based chapters. Some chapters have a brief description which you can read to become familiar with their activities. Once you select a chapter, click the "Request Info" button. That will automatically send an e-mail directly to the chapter. Don't hesitate to call the National Office should you need additional information.

Sweet Roam,

Welcome to FMCA and the Forum. Since you have just joined FMCA there hasn't been time for the information to get out of the Office. Every time a new Family joins FMCA the Office send notifications to all of the Chapters in the area where you have your address. You should get a note, a call or an email from Chapters in the Western Area. If you don't get some responce from Chapters in your area let FMCA know. We need new member such as yourself and the Chapters need new members.

Good luck and I hope lots of Chapter contact you.

Herman

Hello Sweet roam,

We are also new to the club. We live in SoCal and are looking for a local chapter. We camp almost every other weekend. Mostly at East Shore RV park in San Dimas. Since we have bought our new 2013 rig we have been invited to a lot of new campgrounds. We'll keep you posted when we hear from a local chapter. Maybe see you on the road.