Sign in to follow this  
bandnmak

Do I Need The Generator On?

I live on Long Island and with the past 2 storms I have had no electricity for almost 2 weeks now.

Can anyone tell me if I can have the heat on in my Coachman with it just plugged in or does the generator need to be on?

bandnmak,

If you have a propane heater you can run it without the generator on for a while. The fan is 12 volts and will run on your batteries. But you will need to start your generator from time to time to charge your batteries. I hope you put your coach up with full tanks so you can have enough fuel to get you through the storm. Hope you and your family are OK.

All FMCA members are remembering you folks in their prayers.

You mention that you are plugged in. If so, that power should also be recharging your batteries and you will have no need to run your generator. As long as you have propane you should have heat.

The only confusing part is that you mention you have no power so being plugged into something that has no power will not help!

bandnmark,

You have no information on the type of RV you have. Year, model, etc., would help in the queries.

Newer model RV have heat pumps. The will run off of electric, but most likely would need 30 amp unless you have an electrical management system

I planned on plugging in at a relatives house, and yes propane heaters its an 04 coachmen Rendezvous 345, its OK we are lucky enough to get our power back on, of course this happened the day I figured out how to work the heat haha