bdantin

Cummins ISM Coolant Leak

I just purchased a 2006 Zephyr.

The engine is leaking coolant. I suspect it's blowing through the overflow/radiator cap. I changed the cap and it improved, but still causes a mist behind the coach. Took it to Cummins MidSouth and the replaced the EGR cooler, and pressure tested it and its not loosing pressure after an overnight test. Just picked it up from Cummins, and still a mist behind the coach with small signs of droplets on the rear of the coach and drip lines on the coach-wide mud flap.

Any suggestions?

BTW, odometer shows only 36,000 miles.

bdantin,

Welcome to the Forum.

I see that you did replace the cap and the system pressured tested OK. Did you also test the Cap? I just knew that I had a leak in my Aqua-Hot and checked it for some time because I was loosing coolant. My system checked OK with a pressure test. Before I took the tester back to the parts house I tested my cap. It would not hold pressure. So when I returned the tester and got a new cap I tested a new cap and it would not hold pressure either. I tested the second cap and it held pressure fine and now my unit is working fine and is not leaking coolant. So you may want to check your new cap just in case.

Good Luck.

Herman

Thank you for your replies guys.

I took the coach back to the Cummins shop today. Got some really bad news, or is it good news...? The $6,800 repairs I paid for yesterday were all for naught. I met with the site manager and the negotiation begins. Turns out there was a simple test to detect gasses in the coolant that indicate a serious internal failure in the engine. In my opinion, that test should have been the first thing they did three weeks ago after I described the symptoms to them then. The site manager apologized. I didn't feel better. They have some work to do to make this right. I have faith in them to do the right thing. I guess I am still one of those guys that believes when given the respect and opportunity they deserve, people really do want to do the right things. We will see.

Thanks for your replies and your help for me. I hope to be on the road soon!

Buddy

Thank you for your replies guys.

I took the coach back to the Cummins shop today. Got some really bad news, or is it good news...? The $6,800 repairs I paid for yesterday were all for naught. I met with the site manager and the negotiation begins. Turns out there was a simple test to detect gasses in the coolant that indicate a serious internal failure in the engine. In my opinion, that test should have been the first thing they did three weeks ago after I described the symptoms to them then. The site manager apologized. I didn't feel better. They have some work to do to make this right. I have faith in them to do the right thing. I guess I am still one of those guys that believes when given the respect and opportunity they deserve, people really do want to do the right things. We will see.

Thanks for your replies and your help for me. I hope to be on the road soon!

If you don't mind, which Cummins Mid South are you using? I used one of them earlier in the year and also had a problem where they did not listen to what I suggested they do and it cost me over $250...nothing compared to your bill, but the point is the same.

Buddy

The Cummins site is in Kenner, LA. I will say, so far...the manager there is working to satisfy me. And, aside from the bad info initially, they are trying to do the right thing, so far.