Sign in to follow this  
andyshane

Butt Cheek Awning Activation Alert

Okay, this is one for the record books.

My wife was on a ladder tonight, outside the coach, helping to reinstall a window we'd re-glazed and tinted.

I was sitting in the driver's seat, leaned right to retrieve a cordless electric screwdriver from atop the dashboard.

There was a familiar sound; it dawned that, outside, the large awning was extending!

Indeed, some testing revealed that a person sitting in the driver's seat can extend the awning by placing all his/her weight on the right side of the seat.

This could be awkward, rolling down the highway.

Needless to say, all the electrical connectors under the driver's seat will be disconnected, reattached and secured tomorrow. We're poised to make a 400 mile Thanksgiving trip, and the last thing I'd like to leave alongside the highway en route is that big awning assembly.

Meanwhile, has anyone out there experienced this?

Hi Andy !

Man if I did not know you very well, I would be wondering what you where sipping !!

I did find this little note. recall ? not sure. other electrical issues involve wire routing and chafed wires contacting ground in the drive shaft area and slide corners. Wire routing issues.

Problem with Electrical System

Jan 19, 2007 - Toms River, NJ - Wiring

MOTOR HOME HAD MULTIPLE SAFETY RELATED ISSUES THROUGHOUT 2005. -FIRE IN AWNING MOTOR INSIDE MOTORHOME

What power functions do you have on the seat? Any movement in the Seat base ? Thinking the awning switch is located close to the or in the front facing wall of the kitchen area slid wall !

Wounder if its a back feed issue, thing is how?? Common buss power at the fuse box or both awning and seat functions in a common harness ??

One of the other sights I frequent has a poster that is retired from Fleetwood. Will see if he might have the electrical drawings for you coach. He is reluctant to responding to certain requests, but its worth a try.

Rich.

P.S. Have a great Thanksgiving, safe travels. Picked up the son at the airport, the pet is back inside, good night.

Andy,

When traveling down the highway it isn't a good idea to have your cordless screw driver laying on the dash. :P

Do you have a remote control for your awning? If so something may have signaled the awning on the remote.

May your Holidays always consist of both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Have a Happy and Merry of each.

Herman

Mystery solved!

I was too lazy to break out the diagrams and trace the errant wire's connections, but there was indeed a pin backed out of a two-wire connector under the driver's seat.

For some reason, when it swung over and contacted the mast bolted to the floor <zap!> awning deployment.

It reminds me of the old admonishment from my days flying the Fokker F100: whenever you had the brakes fail, they might be recovered by switching Window Heat to Off :wacko:

A happy and safe Thanksgiving to everyone!!

The funniest part: which direction will a driver lean, when he/she hears that awning motor activate rolling down the highway? That's correct, to the right. Full deployment would've been assured... Jeesh.

Good to know you found the problem!

Have a safe trip an eat more then you should, like the rest of us.

Will finish up replacing the radiator in the old Oldsmobile today (I hope) so we can take a short 250 mile trip, in the classic to a get together with my younger brother.

Rich.