Sign in to follow this  
glgardner

Tires for HHR toad

I have a 2009 Chev HHR that we use as out tow vehicle. I need to buy a new set of tires & was told I should consider a a harder compound tire for towing. Currently it has Firestone 215/55 R16 tires on the car & they have not gotten the best wear. Looking for a recommendation?

Thanks, Gary Gardner (NC)

Gary,

I just bought new tires for our toad. Sam's Club has $70 off their "discount price" on a set of Michelins-- that's what I did last Thursday.

Have a 2009 HHR also and was wondering about supplemental brake systems that work on this particular vehicle. I thought the invisibrake would be ideal. Talking to others that tow different vehicles I'm told the invisibrake will work and others say not. Can some one tell me if this works?

oldbreez67,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

We have the Invisibrake on our Ford Focus-- works just fine.

Just curious as to what others mean when they say that it doesn't work? Wonder if they have it set to the proper PSI for their vehicle (adjustable on the exterior of the control unit)?? Installed correctly??

As with any brake, if not installed and set up properly, they are unlikely to work properly.

To my knowledge, the vast majority of cars today have vacuum assisted brakes.

The Invisibrake compressor provides vacuum to the booster as well as pressure to the air cylinder than pulls the brake pedal.

Said another way, if set properly, the toad brakes work just as if you stepped on the brakes while driving (pressure on pedal AND vacuum boost).

Clearly, there are other good choices out there-- many depend on exactly what toad you have. The main thing is to get one THAT YOU WILL USE. Those that require a lot of set-up are sometimes not used because of the hassle factor-- wrong brake for that person.