Sign in to follow this  
JohnMyers

Flat Towing 2012 Chevy Equinox Battery Is Drained

I purchased a 2012 Chevy Equinox and am flat towing it.

On the first long trip from Iowa to Texas the battery was drained twice. I am pulling fuse 32 and putting the car in neutral and then turning the key to acc. All the dash items stay lite and the battery is drained. I start the car each time we stop and let it run, if the battery will start the car. I talked with the Chey dealer in Texas and he had no idea about flat towing the vehicle. I am following the owners manual to the letter.

I am having the same problem with flat towing my 2012 Ford Explorer. I put the towed vehicle in neutral have the acc active and ran the battery down 3 times on a trip from Wisconsin to Texas. I also followed the manufactures procedure. Any information to my problem would be greatly appreciated will be returning to Wisconsin Nov 29, 2012.

You may want to check to make sure you have the key in acc. position. I think you will find you have it in the run position. The dash lights should not be on in the acc position. I have a 07 Saturn Vue and if I turn the key to the run position, I have to turn it back one more click to the acc position. Dash lights should not be on in acc position.

I pull an equinox also and have had this happen only once and that was when we thought we were in ACC and it was actually on. If you are in ACC with the radio on when you pull the fuse the radio goes dead. That is the way I know that I am in the correct key position. It is very eay in the equinox to go from acc to on and not realize it.

I flat flat tow but i have the battery charged via the MH. Simple connection, fused wire from toad battery positive to the battery connection at the 7 pin connector.