Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wayne77590

Looking for an RV park? Try Live Maps

Guest Wayne77590

There are various ways to find a campground; books, internet, and the better (most times) by word of mouth where someone has already stayed.

Sometimes I just want to find a place as I'm traveling, so I use Microsoft Live Maps

Once it comes up type the city and state you are interested into the "Live Search" pane. Example: San Antonio, TX. The map will zoom in on the San Antonio area. Then, type a keyword in the "Live Search" pane, such as RV Park, or Campground, or McDonald's. The Map will be populated with markers of your interest.

If you want an area off to one side of where you are centered, just hold the left mouse button down and drag the map in the direction you want to go.

You then have the opportunity to hover over one of the markers and click on it for another window of information. Sometimes there is a link to the CG's web site, but when there is no link, I just open another tab and search on the CG name and state for more information, then switch back to the original tab for more choices.

Happy traveling.

I have bookmarked this site. It will be helpful in the long run. I used to search the US Post Office web site for Post Office locations as I moved around the country but then the search page stopped working on Motosat connections. I just tried it with Microsoft Live and it does the job! I like to have a map that shows the location as well as the address which I can key into my GPS. Of course the results are only as good as the original data. I tried two RV parks that I have been in lately and they were not in the database. Other parks were found in the area however. By the way, it does a great job locating Dairy Queens! :rolleyes:

Guest Wayne77590

Doug,

Thanks!

I have not been able to find any ONE source for CG's but MS Live Maps is a quick and easy way to find something quickly. It is all in how they have their database. I'll also google search an area, such as "Campground in San Antonio tx" without the quotes and get quite a few hits. Other locaitons will also give results. I just like the feature of moving the map and having the CG's pop up.

Yep! Dairy Queen, Burger King, McDonalds, etc. as long as they are in the MS data base.

Doug,

Thanks!

I have not been able to find any ONE source for CG's but MS Live Maps is a quick and easy way to find something quickly. It is all in how they have their database. I'll also google search an area, such as "Campground in San Antonio tx" without the quotes and get quite a few hits. Other locaitons will also give results. I just like the feature of moving the map and having the CG's pop up.

Yep! Dairy Queen, Burger King, McDonalds, etc. as long as they are in the MS data base.

The best source I have found for CampGrounds, Walmart locations, COE campgrounds, Escapees, etc camping is here

http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfolinks.htm

All of their information is in the form of map overlay files for the following programs:

1. Delorme Draw Files – can only be used by Delorme Street Atlas

2. MS Streets Files – can only be used by MS Streets and Trips (Note 1)

3. CoPilot Files – Text files for import to CoPilot (Note 1)

4. Text Files – for use with GPSBabel to convert to other formats

5. Google Earth – for use with Google Earth

This is probably more information than you will ever want on campground locations.

I travel with a laptop hooked to a GPS antenna and I use the DeLorme TOPO 7 software. This combination has so many options and displays a full screen map of your route.I can load all the DeLorme overlays and switch them on and off as needed. - A 17" map is a lot easier to read than a 4" one- I had a Garman and found DeLorme to be a much better solution for travel in the RV.

Chet

I just downloaded this and found it quite good although some of the campgrounds that I looked for are out of position but if you are using this with another program it will be helpfull

Bob