Sign in to follow this  
jgbaird

2011 Ford Taurus FWD 4 Down

I have about 1000 mi towing a 2011 Ford Taurus 4 wheels down - which Ford says can be easily towed; as does the 2011 FMCA Towing Guide. The Ford manual says put it in neutral with the key in the Accessory position - and tow away, observing a maximum speed of 65 mph. I obviously haven't got enough mileage done to have experienced any mechanical problems resulting from towing - but one thing which is very clear is that if I don't stop with some frequency and run the car for 5 minutes or so, the battery will be dead at the end of the day. Ford does say to do this "after fueling stops" or at the end of the day. Not so.

I called the national Ford customer service line and wasn't able to talk with a service tech. Instead, the nice lady at the end of the line talked with one - and the suggestion which was made is that I rig an electrical feed from the coach to power a trickle charger to the battery. Well, OK, but before I do that, can someone tell me why the key is put in Acc position? What system is drawing the battery down? I read elsewhere about pulling fuses - but never which ones or why. Also, apparently some folks disconnect the battery. That really confuses me.

BTW, a couple of local Ford dealers (Orlando) didn't have a clue.

I have a 2013 Ford Taurus. I towed it to Florida from Ohio. Battery went down second day of trip.It tows great.however the battery will not stay up Six hours I jumped it once,charged it second time with generator.

Will a charge line work and not damage cars electrical system???? Larry 144610

Will a charge line work and not damage cars electrical system???? Larry 144610

Yes, charge lines from motorhome to toad are common and will not harm your car's electrical system any more than having the car's alternator charge the battery.

It needs to be done properly with a fuse at BOTH batteries and proper gauge wire, but it is avery common solution to running down your toad's battery.