Sign in to follow this  
Gerard

Full timing Canadians

I am thinking about full timing in the future but am a Canadian from Ontario and would like to know how other Canadians have experienced the lifestyle. How to make sure OHIP coverage is maintained. How to get a cell phone at a reasonable price that will work in both the U.

S. & Canada. What satellite/internet provider is a good one to use. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I thought you had to remain in CA for at least 6 months per year to maintain your health coverage. You might want to check on this. As far as satellite TV service, the only service available to Canadians that will have full coverage in the US is Shaw Direct. Bell Express Vu now has a very limited US footprint (N. US only). Internet service is going to provide its own challenges and you will have to determine how long you will be in the US and during what periods. There are pay-as-you-go (PAYG) plans available but you have to determine your own wants and needs to determine what's going to be right for you.

As far as I know, RVOTM is correct re OHIP, and Shaw Direct. My research indicates that Bell is not interested in serving Canadians that cross the border.

My cell is Telus, which, for an extra $20 per month, will reduce roaming to $.25/min on calls, but their data roaming is prohibitive.

Get a Magic Jack for a free phone whenever you have internet, then all you need to be concerned about is getting internet. There are still lots of good wifi around, but if you rely on using your Android phone as a hotspot, you will have to buy one for the US and one for Can. Then you will also have a cheaper plan for your mobile phone.

You can buy a US health plan if you want to stay out of Canada for more than 6 months every year. I know a Canadian now living in Hanoi who has one that is quite reasonable.