Sign in to follow this  
pmarth

Buying A Used 2006

I'm buying a 2006 Damon Daybreak with only 7350 miles. The dealer is saying even though the tires are 7 years old there is no need to replace them. They still have the nobs on them. I think based on age alone, they should be replaced. I'm willing to contribute to the cost of the new tires. Am I being overly cautious?

I'm buying a 2006 Damon Daybreak with only 7350 miles. The dealer is saying even though the tires are 7 years old there is no need to replace them. They still have the nobs on them. I think based on age alone, they should be replaced. I'm willing to contribute to the cost of the new tires. Am I being overly causious?

Not at all. The tires are probably dry rotted.

IF, (ya, big IF) the tires have been properly cared for they may go longer. But, since you don't know that they have been covered when stored outdoors, never run low on air, never overloaded, etc REPLACE THEM.

pmarth,

Had good looking tires on my coach. Side walls looked great. loads of tread. However when I had them changed (due to age), I found large dry rot cracks all around each tire between all treads. Be Safe not Sorry, Make a deal with the dealer to replace all tires.

Herman

While the manufacturers say you can go to ten years with annual inspections of the tires, I'm inclined to replace the steering tires at five years, cautiously keep the rears until ten.

You might buy a two year bonus for indoor storage if you feel brave.