Sign in to follow this  
lms1943

Muffler/Fresh Air Intake

Over the past 50 years, I have built many street rods and modified cars. I know that the theory of "more air in, more air out" provides improved performance in a gas engine, but I am new to diesels. Would the improvement be worth the money ($1,000)?

We have a 2001 Airstream XC360 with the 300-horsepower Caterpillar engine.

Thanks.

You would need to verify restriction to know if you would be ahead to spend money on intake/exhaust.

Your air filter minder will tell you if you have restriction on the intake side. What is your air filter minder reading?

Copy the number off your muffler or determine the part number from your chassis maker. Then determine its CFM rating and then call Caterpillar RV Hotline (877 777-3126) with your engine serial number. They can tell you the CFM requirements for your engine.

Diesels benefit from cold dense air in, and of course turbos. Then try to keep the exhaust heat in the pipe to the turbo and a little beyond. Performance diesels often wrap the exhaust to keep the heat in the pipe.

LMS1943, are you looking for more MPGs or more horsepower? Another option to throw out there is to have someone put a custom tune in ECM(computer). Can gain a whole lot of horsepower and even more torque. Mpgs usually go up if you can keep your foot out of it :)