goncolgo

Banks Power Pack Kit

goncolgo,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Couple of questions:

Do you have the Allison 4 or 6 speed transmission. If the 6 speed, it CAN stand a HP boost. 4 speed, you would have to verify with Allison using your transmission model number.

Do you have the 190 or 230 HP Cummins B engine?

Do you know the weight of your loaded motorhome? Toad?

Then the first step is to give Allison a call tomorrow to see what the maximum HP/torque your transmission can handle.

Allison help line 800 252 5283

Thanks Brett for the info and advice. Wife and I just got this RV and are new to the life. Motorhome needs some TLC which we have both been hard at it. Its a Damon Challenger 34 foot and we are having problems getting chassis wiring info etc. since Damon is no longer. I just got RV and Maintenance Book by Bob Livingston and hope it will help troubleshooting some issues we have. Again, thanks for your reply. Kent

I had a Banks PowerPack installed on my 2000 Itasca Horizon with a Cummins 275 ISB a couple of years ago. I can generally hold one gear higher when climbing a hill. Power spools up much quicker. Overall I am happy, but a bigger engine to start with would be better.

I had that basic coach and modified the engine for more power. Several things happened. I ran out of gears-- no overdrive. The engine overheated because the radiator is too small. The inter cooler is too small. I finally changed the engine to a ISB 275 with a MD 3060 6 speed Allison and the radiator and cac. Solved most of my problems.

General consensus, bad idea, Allison even chimed in. Now a follow up, without the additional torque and HP do you think I could still tow a 3500# toad?

Oh, we are talking a Cummins B5.9L 190 HP pusher.

Merry Christmas to All

Thanks to all of you for your reply's!

General consensus, bad idea, Allison even chimed in. Now a follow up, without the additional torque and HP do you think I could still tow a 3500# toad?

Oh, we are talking a Cummins B5.9L 190 HP pusher.

Merry Christmas to All

Thanks to all of you for your reply's!

It will tow but you won't be very fast in the mountains. Level road it will be just fine.