johntelling

60 Amp Fairground Outlet

Last weekend, at the Woodland, CA fairgrounds, the power boxes had 15 amp, 50 amp and 60 amp plugs. The two 50 amp plugs were taken, and no-one had 60 amp adapters. I have never seen 60 amps before. I was told that it is just like 50 amps (two 120 vac legs, a return and a ground).

Is this correct, and if I make an adapter from 50 to 60 amps will I be able to use it without problems?

Thanks!

JT

Never heard of that one either (for an RV that is).

Would sure check it out with a voltmeter before plugging in.

If it looks like a 50 amp outlet:

Outer prongs are both HOT

Inner straight prong is NEUTRAL

Inner round is GROUND

So:

Either outer to center straight or round= 120 VAC

Outer to outer= 240 VAC

Center straight to center round= 0 VAC

If it looks like a 30 amp outlet, RUN, FOREST, RUN.

If it is a 3 phase plug, RUN, FOREST, RUN.

Brett

JT,

Heres what I would do. I have 50 amp power cable for my coach and therefore I would plug into the 50 amp plug. I would then go to the GCs office and ask, "What is the 60 amp plug for?". :)

Perhaps this type of adaptor (see link below) is wired into/within the campground's pedestal... two 30 amp lines going into a 50 amp plug... but two 30 amp lines would result in a useful load of 60 amps, breaker permitting. My understanding is a 50 amp plug on the pedestal is the same thing, except that the breaker allows for 50 amps on each side for a total of 100 amps useful load. I am told a 30 amp plug allows for a combined total of 30 amps used as the sum of load from both sides of your coach's panel. A 50 amp plug allows for a combined total up to 100 amps, with a limit of 50 amps' load on each side of your coach's panel. Thus, I would suggest the 60 amp panel is an allowed load of 60 amps combined over both sides of your coach's panel. ****, I don't know because I am not an electrician, but it could also mean you get 60 amps on each side of your coach's panel, but I doubt that.

http://www.campingwo...x-adapter/25774

Brett,

Thanks for your response. The only apparent difference was that the bottom pin was horizontal instead of vertical. There was, in fact, 120 vac on both outside legs. What about the phase - could it be different?

JT

60 Amps Listed as a harsh use plug. 4-Pole 4-Wire Non-Grounding, 60A 3PH Y 120/208V, 18-60P, 2 Different stiles.

1---http://www.stayonline.com/documents/9049-pdf.pdf

2---http://www.stayonline.com/documents/5198-pdf.pdf

CERTIFICATE OF CONFORMANCE for link # 1

This is to certify that: 9049

The material shipped conforms to the requirements of

Product : HUBBELL HBL7303C AC Plug NEMA 18-60 Male

Description: Male Plug NEMA 18-60 Black and White Nylon, Angle, 4 Position. Rated for

120/208 volt, 60 amp, 4 pole, 4 wire, three phase. Accomodates .625-1.31 Inch cord

diameter. Straight Blade Plug. UL Listed.

This does not look like they should be used in RV Camp grounds, Lack of ground wire if someone who did not know what the wiring should be,(Not a Master Electrician) installed them.

Being a Fairgrounds these are for High Power 3 phase Motors used on rides !!!!

Rich.