Sign in to follow this  
Larry196

Wet Carpet

2006 Holiday Rambler-40 foot

We have been in Washington State for the last 3 months and have been rained on everyday.

We developed a leak at what seems to be the front edge of the slides, I read that if we raised the front jack a little bit it would stop--it did on the curbside, still leaking on the road side, the whole drivers area is wet.

Not being able to access the roof because of the rain I could not check up there.

We had a carpet shampooer and used it about every hour to try and get up as much water as we could.

The rig has been in the body shop closed up for two weeks.

Question is: Do you think I need to replace the carpet ? If so How much should it cost ?

We had a similar experience in our 2008 Forest River 374 with 3 slides...found wet carpet in a cabinet on the outside edge of one slide. It actually turned out to be a fault in design whereas the manufacturer failed to seal the bracket holding the slide topper...the rain found the easy access down behind the topper bracket and into the inside of the slide to the flooring/carpet..I sealed the top of the bracket heavily with RTV...solved!

George

Larry,

Regarding the carpet, If you are concerned about stains or mildew there is a trick you can try.

With the carpet damp thoroughly rub in some Borax (The Plain / Pure Kind) into the area, let it dry and vacuum it. Finish off with a vinegar / water solution. Think its 1/4cup to 10 /12 cups. Not real strong. Repeat the treatment if necessary to remove the stain. This will also remove the mildew order from the rugs..

Borax also is good to clear flees from the rug if you have pets, just spread some around and let it set for an hr or so. You Just need to vacuum the rugs Real Good. it will bother the pets nose if not cleaned up well and can get in there eyes.

Rich.