Mark99

Smaller DIesel Motorhomes Wanted To Travel On Trek to South America In July!

Would like to know what type of motorhomes may be going with the Trekoftheamericas July 2013 expedition to South America. I have a 7.3 diesel chassis mount and would like to share spare parts, or maybe change my motorhome prior to the July date. It is advisable to carry extra parts, and great if several others have the same vehicle requirements.

I also know there is at least one Mercedes Sprinter going on the trip.

What year is your MH? How are you and others dealing without low sulfur diesel? We went on a quick wine tour in Mexico last year but had to make it on one tank since or '07 Sprinter needs low sulfur diesel.

Jon is correct. Most 2007 and newer diesels require ULSD which is not available south of the border. But all diesels before 2007 are fine for the trip.

I traveled to Mexico last year with a guy in a late-model diesel sprinter. He had no problems, but most do not with several tankfuls. Going all the way down to South America, with a late-model diesel, however, will be an issue. If it is off warranty, you could look into having the dpf filter removed and the computer reprogrammed to recognize the fact.

We returned from Ushuaia, Argentina with a 2010 Winnebago View, and another with a 2008 Chev chassis, and has absoultly no fuel problems. The fuel along the route was sometimes labeled as ECO and others were "sin plomo" without lead, There were no newer RV diesel units that require the exhaust additives - this is still a question. (there is suppose to be a "fix" for this also?),.

I would not advise any diesel post-2010, but prior to that it seems that the SA countries are catching up and you can travel at least on the route of the Pan American Highway.

The July, 2014 Trekoftheamericas Expedition will be visiting Panama during the celebration of 100 YEARS, it promises to be a great national celebration, and the new German Ferry should be running ( but if not..."Plan B" - back to doing the RO RO again!!! Love It!!! everything in Latin America Has a Plan "B" and "C" and sometimes "D" ! lol

I am doing a photographic journal of nature and fruits and veggies along the route of the Pan American Highway.

Bon Voyage!