Sign in to follow this  
greybeard101

Daytime Running Lights....Canada

Hi Greybeard101, If your motorhome is registered in Canada it has to have daytime running lights, its the law. We have a 2003 Monaco Windsor and all it took was a wiring harness from Monaco. The plug in was already marked at the factory, so all it took was plugging it in. All cars and trucks that are registered here have to have them. The only complaint I have is that people ride with just their daytime running lights on early in the morning when its still dark and don't realize that they have no tail lights on.

From a safety stand point I think it should be mandatory everywhere. Just my 2 cents smokeater75

I have installed daytime driving lights. They are LED and come on when the ignition is on and off when the headlights are on. They are extremely bright.

In order to import a US built Coach to Canada, DTR has to be there, or installed before the importation in complete.

For my 98 Beaver, Canadian Tire provided the installation and is the inspection contractor for the Gov, so a simple and inexpensive process.

To my surprise, nothing else was required.

Thanks everyone. I am aware that it is a legal requirement that any importer must install or activate DRL on motorhomes in Canada. My reason for asking the question is that when I brought it up with my service department they said they would have to look into it to see if it is a fix from Monaco or from Ford. I found this strange....I mean...all their units are imported from the States...including ones they build themselves on the E 350 or E 450 cutaway chassis....so why is it such a query as to how to fix it?.....almost as if they haven't bothered setting up DRL's on any other units they import. So I just wonderd if other members in Canada had MH's where the importer ( the dealership) had not bothered to set them up. I also believe it is a requirement that the instruments should have Km as the dominant numbers on the speedo but on mine they simply have a sticker below the gauges that says "miles"....which is OK by me as I never did like the switch to metric and most of my driving is done in the States.

All F53 chassis' come with a DRL harness as standard equipment....per Ford's own specification sheet in PDF form.......all BUT MINE!

So they couldn't activate the DRL feature at all.

So whether it be from Ford or the selling dealer they have now been able to set it up. At least that's what they tell me..I haven't seen it for 6 weeks.

When I drive through Canada this summer I flip the switch on to the driving lights. They go on and off with the ignition switch so no worry to forget them as they are automatic on with ignition on. :rolleyes:

Hi Greybeard101, If your motorhome is registered in Canada it has to have daytime running lights, its the law. We have a 2003 Monaco Windsor and all it took was a wiring harness from Monaco. The plug in was already marked at the factory, so all it took was plugging it in. All cars and trucks that are registered here have to have them. The only complaint I have is that people ride with just their daytime running lights on early in the morning when its still dark and don't realize that they have no tail lights on.

From a safety stand point I think it should be mandatory everywhere. Just my 2 cents smokeater75

Are you by chance on a Workhorse W-Series chassis? If so I sure would like to learn more about this wiring harness....where it goes to and from, etc

Big Dog, do not know the exact circuit, but they come on when one puts the transmission in gear and turn off when one turns on the marker lights or headlights.

Got a Chev. truck with them and have the shop manuals, so maybe over the next few days I can find out where and how they are wired into things.

Rich.

Big Dog,

Looking at the circuit(s) regarding DLR( day time Running lights) one might expect to find if the chassis in question has been prewired for the option.

The Junction Block,(location could very on different year chassis) contains the head light relay and would have one dedicated to the Day Light Running lights. They would leave this relay out if the lights are not added as an option in most cases.

The wire color running from the stationary connection on the relay to power the lights is Dark Blue in the information I have.

The switch side(moving contact) connects to a 10 amp fuse in the junction box. One for the lights and a second 10 amp fuse for the relay coil.

The circuits are wired into the BCM(body control module) This is the module that controls the DLR relay, so when the headlights are on it opens the low(ground) side of the DLR relay. This powers down the Daytime running Lights.

Also,Turns them on when the Transmission is in gear and off if the parking brake are in gauged.

That one is a little strange from my way of thinking, because if you engage the transmission to turn them on and then engage the parking brake, they are turned off so you can not check to see if they are working. Makes it a 2 person job.

Hope this helps answer your question to some point. The wiring harness for the DLR's could be tucked away,but where is a question that I can not answer.

Rich.

Interesting. The comments are about US built coaches needing them to be sold in Canada. We have a 1999 Bounder 34V that has them because it was built in Canada. I guess all vehicles made in Canada need them, even though they are sold in the US.