mikendar

Motorhome Insurance Feedback - GMAC, Geico

It's renewal time again. We are looking at changing carriers due to premium increases with our current company. I am looking at GMAC (a FMCA referral) and GEICO. both are very competitive. Any feedback on either company would be vry helpful i.e. claims, service, problems. any info, either positive or negative would be welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike, We have used GMAC through Good Sams over the last 20 years and have been very pleased with there service and price.

They use a sliding scale for mileage and then where you home address is located. We have used it 3 times over that period of 20 years. The price has gone up but only by about 20.00 Dollars. must also say a good driving record and good credit score helps.

We have a higher deductible so if we have a clam, and even if its a little over the deductible we pay out of pocket.

Rich.

We have GMAC. Our only claims have been for windshields with no problems and very responsive. We were able to get the motor home and two autos covered for less than our motor home with our previous insurance.

Been with GMAC for 3 years, no accidents, incidents, tickets, age bracket changes, no problem. This year, they raised me 44% with no explanation. Said it was a "revision" with the state. I called the State Office of Insurance for Louisiana.....they thought that was excessive...but by the time they review the policy, we'll be with someone else. Went from 1818 a year for RV and car (full timers) to 2590. Probably going to Geico now. They have very good rates. Was quoted 1736 per year for same coverage I have now except the total loss. They don't do total loss, only FMV. However, RV will be 5 years old in 2014 anyway, so would have lost it then. Shop around....GMAC having LOTS of bad press lately in the forums (IRV2; GS, etc) for their rate increases lately.

We had GMAC from 2001 until last year. We had it through Good Sams. When I checked on it through FMCA it was a slight bit higher. I understand, FMCA didn't have a history with GMAC yet. Last year I got a quote from my local Kemper agent. What to my suprise and wondering eyes was a price for 1 yaer that I had paid for 6 months with GMAC. It was just over $2,000.00 for the Motor Home, My truck, and the wife's car for 1 year. Please don't take me wrong, GMAC handle every issue I had very well. But in the end (retirement) we had to go with the dollars.

Herman

Any discussion like this has no definite answer for anyone. Every state has their own insurance commissions and their own rates. The company that could be lowest in one state can be the highest across the state line. If I would move across the state to Detroit I would get to pay double for my insurance. Credit score, driving record, location and state rules all affect your insurance rates.

We just switched from Geico to Overland Insurance Services and now have better coverage than Geico for about half the price!! We moved our toad insurance to same as our pickup so we would qualify for Motorhome RV insurance.

Agent was very helpful and informative. We wanted to have him supply our auto insurance, but he felt it best that we "shop around" here in our home state.

I had the same as Herman. I got GMAC quotes through GS and FMCA, and GS was considerably lower in the couple hundred dollar range. GMAC was also considerably lower than all other quotes, both for MH only and for MH with Toad going FT.

Just obtained quotes for RV = Full-time Coverage. Sold the house last Friday.....Just can't sit still.

Geico Coverage is for both Vehicles.

Geico is $180 less for both the RV & Sonic, which also includes RV E Roadside and Auto E Roadside, compared to Blue Sky for just the RV, .

Blue sky quoted the Sonic at $1216.00, either they made a mistake or they're pistons are not firing in sequence. Interesting quote. If that is an accurate quote, then Geico is $1396 less. No Accidents, No Moving Violations, Excellent Credit.

Geico is over $300 less for both the RV & Sonic compared to Progressive for just the RV.

Interesting comparison on quotes.

Oh, forgot, the quotes were for less $ amount coverage.

Hmm-mm, let me think? What to do!

This has become a semi-annual ritual, glad I have the time,,,retirement is such a chore. Oh, Well, someone has to,,,you know the rest.

I have had outstanding customer and claim service over the years with both Geico and Progressive. Progressive priced themselves out of my market.

Full time coverage, plus ERS with Geico comes to $1112 per year on 2 semi annual policies.

Just to clarify USAA, they insure some RVs and some boats, up to a certain price, then they refer you to Progressive. I do not know what that price point is. Some are hesitant to use Progressive due to their politics.

Purchasing motorhome cover isn't anything like getting insurance for your motorcar. There are several different areas you have to consider, and some of them will be very important to your particular needs. If this is your first RV or you've never taken it on a holiday; today is the day you get a better feel for what you need to have in your policy. Plus, we'll give you an inside look at how to save money as well.

motorhome insurance

I switched from GMAC through Good Sam to Progressive this year. Their yearly cost was just slightly higher than GMAC 6 month cost. I've had motorcycles through them for many years and have had only 1 claim and they were great. No experience with any RV claims.

Just moved back to State Farm this month.  Was with Geico for 13 years.  Our needs maybe different than most however.  We have multiple properties (Rental and residential), two cars, one MH to include a $1M umbrella requirement over everything.  Our change netted over $2K in savings with an annual total bill of $5.5K.  Your results may vary.

Also, when Geico provided home (Homesite) and RV (Foremost) insurance they were not the actual vendor, just the facilitator.  I did not like that option.

Geico, I haven't been able to beat there price in 3 years now. Had a claim on both the MH and the toad from hail and they were great to deal with. My vote Geico