derh2o

Cell Phone Boosters

On the road, I occasionally camp at a site with poor or limited cell reception. Since i get on the internet via my laptop using my smart phone and PDAnet, this is important. I am interested in what brands others are using to boost their cell signal. I am on Verizon.

I have found the Wilson external antenna to be great in fringe areas. But you do have to have an external port (a little round rubber plug on the back of my Samsung phone) for it to plug into?

We use a Wilson trucker amp also. Wilson is nice cause you can get the amp and antenna's separately and tailor the system to your needs.

We use the spring loaded outside antenna, and the wall mounted pad inside antenna.

The system works very well. If there is a signal, it will pull it in.

I have the Z-Metro Z-Boost YX540. I use it in my home to boost the signal and can take it in the RV when we travel. If the signals are weak at the campground, I can hook it up and get a nice boost. You do not have to put the phone "real close", same room is good enough. Even helps outside the range, but not as much as being in the same room with it. Was a good price, about $130 from Solid Signal.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=yx540&d=wi-ex-zboost-yx540-metro-dual-band-wireless-cell-phone-extender-%28yx-540%29&sku=186639000458

I have the Z-Metro Z-Boost YX540. I use it in my home to boost the signal and can take it in the RV when we travel. If the signals are weak at the campground, I can hook it up and get a nice boost. You do not have to put the phone "real close", same room is good enough. Even helps outside the range, but not as much as being in the same room with it. Was a good price, about $130 from Solid Signal.

http://www.solidsign...ku=186639000458

Thanks for the info. I may have to try it, been using Wilson stuff for 13 years. I will check it out at CES in 2 weeks.

Hey all, two days ago Wilson announced the DT4G cellular booster at CES in Las Vegas! From their press release:

"The new DT4G improves voice and data signal strength on 4G, 3G, and 2G networks in the U.S.

(except Clearwire), and accommodates multiple users across multiple carriers simultaneously."

The DT4G is expected to start shipping in March 2014 and have a MSRP of $379.
I have both Verizon and AT&T, and need the 4G LTE for my MiFi devices. The current solution for my situation is still too expensive for my blood: The almost $1000 (~$800 street) Wilson AG Pro Quint. You can bet I will be snapping up one of the DT4G boosters as soon as I can!
Excerpts from the review...
  • "Unlike other boosters, the DT4G boosts all available frequencies so your phone's signal meter won't lie like it will with a booster that only boosts voice. You should see a massive improvement in voice quality, data speeds, and you'll see better battery life because your phone won't be struggling to transmit a stronger signal. This is typical of all boosters, but you should see an even more marked improvement with the DT4G because all the carrier frequencies are nice and strong."
  • "Because the DT4G works will all carriers, you'll have no problem using it with multiple people at the office no matter what kind of phone or device they have. It should even work great with 4G or LTE-equipped tablets!"
  • "Here's the bottom line: this is the booster you've been waiting for, and we expect the price to be very pleasing as well. This is the only booster you'll need for years to come, and because it comes from Wilson, you know it's a quality design."
I can't wait! (but impatiently will),
~ Lee Lukehart

post-28774-0-60010100-1389209867_thumb.j

I use the zBoost YX545 with the zBoost Yx039 high gain directional dual antenna. Works great with RG-6 coax cable.

I use the Wilson Sleek, Works well. But your need to get the proper one for your cell provider and service.

Ditto, I use 2 of the boosters, one for the living room, one in the bedroom.

They work great on a fringe signal and they boost a 3 bar signal to 5.

I use the Wilson Sleek also, though the one I have is switchable between my Verizon MiFi and my AT&T iPhone. The Amazon link from my purchase says it is the 813426, though the labels on the back of the unit say 813425 and model 2B3425. It has a switch on the side to change cell networks. I also got the home/office accessory kit with antenna, stand, and charger.

I have a Wilson Dual Band Amplifier that I have been thinking about mounting in my Winny Journey with a ground plain antenna. My concern is that the roof of the Winny is fiberglass and the instructions say the antenna should be as far away from the inside antenna as possible. Anyone have these types of amps mounted on non-metal roof above the cab and get it to work without oscillation? I don't want to run cable to back end of unit and mount antenna there. When i was testing the unit, i could not see any real difference, the signal strength did not show improvement in signal.