MarYJac04

Pros and Cons of Toad Towing on a Trip to Alaska

Question

We are planning a trip to Alaska in 2013 and would like to hear comments and/or recommendations on whether to tow a toad. We estimate a trip of two and a half to three months from the US/Canada border.

We lived in the interior just a bit southwest of Fairbanks in 1960 - 1962 so we are quite sure there are side trips we would enjoy taking. At that time there were few roads but we did fly to several places.

1 answer to this question

We completed our Alaska trip with Adventure Caravans this year and had a fabulous time. Our caravan of 21 RVs included 12 motorhomes. All but one had a toad in tow. I towed a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix with Remco lube pump and Protect-A-Tow for front end protection. I highly recommend the Protect-A-Tow. It seemed to provide the best protection of everything that I observed. Other than a few stone chips, nobody in our caravan had problems with their toads. The day before we were to travel the "Top of The World" highway, I observed a motorhome that had just made the trip towing a Jeep Wrangler with no front end protection. Both headlights and foglights were shattered and a side window was shattered. There were several stones piled on the hood. He obvioulsy took the road way to fast and had inadequate protection. We completed the same route the next day without incident. I would not make the trip again without a toad in tow.