BSonthego

Spartan Chassis, 2005 Newmar Kountry Star Sway Issue

We are experiencing sway problems. This is our first motor home, so I don't have a lot of experience, but it seems to be to wishie- washie on the road.

Any one have comments.

What can I do to repair/correct the problem ?

Thank You.

B

Welcome to the Forum. Several question that might help you get some answers. Independent or solid front axle? Does the body sway back and forth or does it seem to road walk? It could be any thing from bad sway bar bushings to alignment. Post some more information and you will get some ideas.

Good Luck.

Herman

The 2005 spartan has independent axles. The front just seems to move over, and is quite easily pushed by wind. Problem does not seem to be tire pressure or shocks. Thanks for your reply.....ben

Ben,

Check both your front end and rear axle. Do they both have sway bars. If no then you may need them. If you do then you may need to have stronger sway bars. There are several companies that advertise in Both FMCA and Motorhome mags. having sway bars.

Good Luck,

Herman

Look in your owners manual to get Spartan chassis name or Spartan Vin number and we can go from there.

Saying Spartan without specifying exactly what chassis is like saying you have a Ford and want advice without specifying whether you have a Fiesta or Mustang.

I do not know if your Spartan is like my 2002 American Coach. I had a sway bar bracket that connects the sway bar to the lower control arm break off the mounting tabs. I believe It was an aftermarket sway bar, I believe made by IPD. It is a "U" shaped bracket with mounting tabs held by 7/16" bolts. The mounting tabs were all that was left. I fabricated a new one because I was leaving to go to Fleetwood service the next day and I had the ability and tools to do so. You may have a similar problem.

My coach had 39000 miles on it.

Brett mentioned that having the Vin number information would be helpful and the Model number.

Ben have you checked to see if your coach is listed on this recall?

2005 NEWMAR KOUNTRY STAR RECALL - #06V280000

RECALL FOR STEERING

CERTAIN CHASSIS MAY HAVE BEEN EQUIPPED WITH INCORRECT STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFTS. THE SPLINE CAN STRIP WHILE THE STEERING WHEEL IS BEING TURNED.

2005 NEWMAR KOUNTRY STAR RECALL - #05V263000

RECALL FOR SERVICE BRAKES, AIR : SUPPLY

ON CERTAIN MOTOR HOMES EQUIPPED WITH AMETEK NGI GAUGES, THE AIR GAUGES ARE NOT PROPERLY CALIBRATED AND THE LOW AIR WARNING INDICATOR MAY BE ACTIVATED WHEN ACTUAL AIR RESERVOIR PRESSURE READINGS ARE BELOW THE FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD REQUIRED RANGE OF 60 TO 65PSI.

2005 NEWMAR KOUNTRY STAR RECALL - #04V403000

RECALL FOR SEAT BELTS : FRONT : ANCHORAGE

ON CERTAIN MOTOR HOMES, DURING MANUFACTURING, THE SEAT BELT SHOULDER HARNESS ATTACHMENT LOCATION FOR THE PASSENGER SEAT WAS NOT PROPERLY WELDED OR ATTACHED.

Rich.

I have a 2005 Excursion with the Spartan chassis, it rode well but had some pronounced sway during slow speed maneuvering over uneven pavement.

Putting Koni FSD gas shocks on in place of the OEM Bilsteins, and re-bushing the anti-away bar* made for a dramatic difference.

In addition to getting Brett's info, could you snap a photo of each side of the front axle looking outboard from the center?

* I've programmed retorquing the anti-sway bar fasteners every three months, that seems to help. They tend to loosen, under load.