wolfe10

2013 Towing Guide

The annual Towables for 2013 (four wheels down) towing guide is available online as well as in the January print edition of Family Motor Coaching magazine.

Member or subscriber login is required to access the online article.

Does anyone know why the 2013 Cadillac SRX is not in the list for this year? I purchased a 2013 2 months ago for towing behind our 2010 Newmar Essex and it is wonderful! The manufacturer verified it is towable and how to tow it is in the manual. There are no fuses to remove, just a button to push under the gear shifter and you move it to neutral and you are ready to go.......super easy. We had the Roadmaster Blackhawk tow bar installed and the Brakemaster Supplemental Braking System installed on it. We have had no issues at all.

After looking into your question ... the 2013 Cadillac SRX is towable four wheels down and should have been included in the Towables for 2013 list. It will be added to the online version. Thanks for recognizing the omission and alerting us to it.

I replaced my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 2013 Grand Cherokee (4WD) because it didn't require pulling a fuse while towing. The owners handbook didn't mention it, but when I looked at the online manual at Jeep.com, it said I have to disconnect the battery. What this does to all the presets in the vehicle I don't know. I called Chrysler Customer Care, but they have no technical expertise and couldn't connect me to any except to refer me back to the dealer. The dealer has been trying to help, but he can't find out what position the key has to be in or whether the battery has to be disconnected or a fuse pulled while towing. Anyone know where I can find out?

Kurt Simon

You don't have to disconnect the battery, there is no key to leave in a certain position. The only reason to disconnect the battery is if you have to turn a key to unlock a steering wheel. Then, leaving the key turned can run down the battery. There is no steering wheel lock on a 2012 -2013 Grand Cherokee. The 12 and 13 are basically the same vehicles, with a few cosmetic changes. The 13 is a placeholder for the 2014. Besides, disconnecting the battery makes it difficult for a Brake Buddy or the like to operate, unless you run a power line from the towing coach.

I have towed my 2012 about 5000 miles so far with the battery connected and no key anywhere. All I do is put the transfer case in neutral, hook up the towbar, safety cables and wires, install the Brake unit and go. I have towed up to 4 days without unhooking, starting the towed, or anything.

More data on 2013 Jeep GC: The 2012 and 2014 JGC don't require disconnecting the battery per the Jeep manuals, but the 2013 does for some reason. Jeep won't/can't tell me what the truth is here. I'm looking into an automatic battery disconnect relay from Roadmaster. I'm running an overnight experiment where I've disconnected the Jeep battery. I'll see in the AM if I've lost all the vehicle radio, evic, seat settings. If I have, the Jeep dealer and I are going to talk about my returning the Jeep to them.