buddyl99

Computer Use While Traveling

I am a Canadian traveling in U.S.

If I am not in wifi range is there any method I can use or purchase to maintain Internet while on the go?

Will it also work on magic jack?

You can buy a pay-as-you-go cellular service plan and you will have internet where ever that service is available. The only service available "everywhere" would be satellite internet and it is very expensive to purchase, difficult to learn to setup and is pretty expensive to operate.

Buddy199, I recently purchased a Jetpack from Verizon. It came with a 4GB monthly data plan. Price for a two year plan is about $50 per month. It is good anywhere there is Verizon phone service. Most of the other carriers have a similar device and plan. On a recent trip across the southern US, I found service each time I tried from CA to FL. Much of the service was at 4G LTE, but some was at 3G or lower, but I did have service. This portable device enables up to 10 wi-fi enabled device to connect to the Internet. So one can be connected with computers, iPhones, iPads, iPods, or Windows/Android wi-fi devices. The 4 GB limit seems to be ample for e-mail, but could be quickly exceeded if downloading movies, Skyping, or any other high data usage downloads/transfers.

As an alternative, wi-fi is available at many retail outlets such as a Sams, MacDonalds, and many others. There is an APP available that lists the nearest wi-fi hot spots. I found many campgrounds in the south with free wi-fi service, but many in AZ and CA had a service that you had to subscribe to on-line.

Sam

iPhones have the hotspot feature which allow connection of your computers when you have cellular service. My wife's iPhone is AT&T, mine is Verizon. One or the other is likely to work better. Occasionally neither works but it gets better all the time.

For a Canadian, with a Canadian cellphone plan, using the phone as a hotspot is the most expensive option. So expensive that when I asked my phone provider about it, I was told "turn off the data plan" when in the US. Roaming charges will beat your fuel bill. In Canada, I use my cellphone as a wifi hotspot and it works very well. In the US, if I am staying in one place for anything over a couple of weeks, if the local wifi is no good, I have signed up for Time Warner (available in So Cal) and although a hassle to get a modem and get it working, once that hassle is done, the service is good and it doesn't cost too much, at 29.95 a month. Other providers are available in other areas.

Verizon offers prepaid data plans. You buy the USB modem (aircard) and pay for so many Gigabytes of data. If you don't use it in a set time it goes away and you have to buy more.

Tks for reply

So I guess laptop with wifi availability cheapest outlet

Ok when at destination but no go on way even at Walmarts

Sams Club has wifi.

I have a Virgin Mobile prepaid Data plan. 5GB/mo on 3G for $50 and unlimited 4G data. It works off of the Sprint Network, so decent coverage. The hot spot was about $100 and I can connect up to 5 devices at a time to it.

One could also use PdaNet. there is a one time charge of around 20$ USD. you simple tether your smart phone to your laptop and your laptop acts like a modem and you are ready to go. I am on it now sending this message.

As a Canadian I have not wanted to sign up for any of the US cell Internet wifi plans because I don't want to pay all year to only use it for a few months. I just found Internet on the Go at Walmart for $79.95 it uses the Sprint 3g network so is not super fast but It works for email, Web and Skype.

As long as you buy it at WM and choose the right option it will save any megabytes you buy as long as you use it once a year. I used my daughter's address in the USA. And bought a refill card at Walmart as the website would not take my Canadian credit card. It supports up to 5 computers. I'm writing this on my play book while my DW is checking email On the Mac book.

As a Canadian I have not wanted to sign up for any of the US cell Internet wifi plans because I don't want to pay all year to only use it for a few months. I just found Internet on the Go at Walmart for $79.95 it uses the Sprint 3g network so is not supper fast but It works for email, Web and Skype. As long as you buy it at WM and choose the right option lt will save any megabytes you buy as long as you use it once a year. I used my daughter's address in the USA. And bought a refill card at Walmart as the website would not take my Canadian credit card. It supports up to 5 computers. I'm writing this on my play book while my DW is checking email On the Mac book.

Verizon has a similiar deal. You can purchase the usb modem at Walmart and I believe Best Buys. Then you can purchase the monthly data plan as you need it, You are not tied into a plan of any kind.